We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IB Grand, Secrets Capri, or Secrets Maroma?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
IB Grand, Secrets Capri, or Secrets Maroma?

My husband and I are planning a trip to one of these resorts for our 20th anniversary in sept. We arent able to vacation much due to our autistic son so we want to make this the best trip!!! We will book through Apple. We love hanging out at the beach & pools but would enjoy activities at the resort also. We are not big partiers. How is snorkeling & other water sports at these resorts? How far from Coba ruins? Any advice is appreciated.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IB Grand, Secrets Capri, or Secrets Maroma?

Of the three, the best beach is Maroma followed by The Grand while the best pools are at The Grand.

Luxe rooms with plush bedding can be found at The Grand, and the resort itself is overall more luxurious IMO. Large bathrooms at The Grand and the room set up is very functional. Butlers for each category.

Reservations needed at The Grand for dinner and you must wear bracelets. You have access to all other resorts on the compound and also a central shopping center and nightclub.

No resys or bracelets at Secrets.

There were daily activities at The Grand let by the Star Friends. We do not participate so did not pay much attention.

IMO, The Grand is the more luxurious and spectacular property in terms of overall lushness and amenities. Secrets Carpi has an intimate feel. SMB is large and very modern. Many reviews mention how small the pool is and that it is quite busy.

Good luck with your decision.

ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IB Grand, Secrets Capri, or Secrets Maroma?

Thanks for the info! Can you snorkel at The Grand, SC, or SM? Beaches good for long walks at all three?HOw about tennis courts? Which resort has the best food? When making dinner reservations at The Grand, are you just reserving which restaurant or a certain time also? Any horseback riding trips that are good?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IB Grand, Secrets Capri, or Secrets Maroma?

It was too rough for us to snorkel at The Grand so cannot help. And we only go to the area for long weekends so spend our time on the beach and not on activities, just R&R.

Have not stayed at Secrets so cannot comment first hand on food. Food at The Grand was good.

You reserve a specific time and restaurant for dinner and your butler or concierge can assist.

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IB Grand, Secrets Capri, or Secrets Maroma?

A bit OT but why are you already deciding that you are booking through Apple? I would shop around your dates and resorts and find the best deal before committing to a specific third party vendor. Apple may, indeed, turn out to be the best deal but not always.

Just my .02 :)

ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IB Grand, Secrets Capri, or Secrets Maroma?

We decided to go with Apple just because we have heard so many good experiences with them from 5 other family & friends. Plus my sister-in-law is a former travel agent and she highly recommends Apple. My husband has researched booking through the resort vs apple but thats it.

ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IB Grand, Secrets Capri, or Secrets Maroma?

I am willing to search around more. We dont vacation much and have never gone out of the country so this is all new to us. We live in a very small city and only one travel agency. Do you have any suggestions?

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: IB Grand, Secrets Capri, or Secrets Maroma?

Hit the majors: orbitz, expedia, travelocity. Then funjet, cheaqpcaribbean.com, beachdestinations.com, bookit.com and also apple.

I'm not saying Apple is a bad place..they have a good rep here on TA. But get the best price you can..don't go with an agency simply because your family tells you they are great. In this economy you need to save every penny you can.

And don't forget the airlines websites as well as the hotels websites. There are so many many places to book, just be sure you are comparing apples to apples (no pun intended) when it comes to dates, room category, flights, etc.

It can be maddening to seatrch but when you stumble on that amazing deal you will be glad that you did.

One more tip, don't be afraid to contact that travel agent in town once you have found your best price. See what they can come up with.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: IB Grand, Secrets Capri, or Secrets Maroma?

Just an FYI that you will not find Iberostar properties on Orbitz or Expedia. You will find Secrets though.

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: IB Grand, Secrets Capri, or Secrets Maroma?

HI there,Apple vacations is the way to go we use them every year for our Oct trip to Mexico.Out of the three resort I would say Secrets Maroma or the Iberostar Grand.We where at the Lindo next store and walked over to is and WOW its beautiful!! One of the nice things with the Iberostar you can use the others nextstore if you get bored the Lindo has lots of pool activitys and fun stuff to do.If you do use Apple vacations check mid week flights they are cheaper we go out of Cleveland on thurs and its a direct flight 3 1/2 hrs.They have charter with usa3000 and its a great flight.There direct chater flight are thur,sat and I think sun.As far as Coba it about 1hr from there.A great snorkling trip is Xel-Ha beautiful eco park.You should get a great rate for Sept have fun.Any other info I can try to help!

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: IB Grand, Secrets Capri, or Secrets Maroma?

We just returned from Secrets Maroma Beach. We went to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary.

We walked to the Grand and the beach there is no comparison to SMB. The beach at SMB is beautiful white sand all the way into the ocean.

They do have a snorkeling tour to the reef which they told me is the second largest reef in the world. It is supposed to be great snorkeling.

They showed us how to sail a hobe cat and we used that daily.

We booked through the Roadslesstaken travel agency and flew out of Buffalo on Delta with a layover in Cincinnati.

It was a really nice trip. The travel agent uses Cancun Transfers for travel to and from the airport there. I highly recommend it. We went via Apple the last time and the jet broke down and we waited 6 hours in the airport in Cancun for another jet to fly from Cleveland to get us. Never again! Our flight wih Delta was on time and pleasant.

We did get an upgrade to a Preferred Club swim-up whih was nice.

You may want to call Beau and Carol at the Roads less taken travel agency for a quote. When we were there 7/5-7/13, people from New Jersey were next to us. They had just arrived. They got the preferred club swim-ups for 1008.00 per person (hotel only) on Orbitz.

You will have a wonderful time at SMB.