We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent Visitors-Any safety issues-PDC area.

Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recent Visitors-Any safety issues-PDC area.

We will be visiting the VIM first of Aug. I hear of recent crime/drug gangs upswing in the Cancun area.

Is this the normal exaggeration?

Just curious if anyone felt uncomfortable or suggest any excursions to avoid due to the recent bad media on crime in Mexico? i.e kidnappings, robbery, drug gangs, etc

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent Visitors-Any safety issues-PDC area.

You should only be concerned if you are a member of a drug cartel. I live here and feel safer than I did living in the States.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent Visitors-Any safety issues-PDC area.

Be careful on 10th Avenue in Playa del Carmen. Those bicycles sneak up on you. Whap!

Stick to 5th Avenue, much safer.

We don't do Texas, heard you had a drug problem down there. Especially along the border.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Texas
Texas
United States
Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,043 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent Visitors-Any safety issues-PDC area.

I never disagree with PDS or OT3.

:-)

I will say, however, that I like that phrase, "the normal exaggeration."

Steve

Your Local Pub
Level Contributor
501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent Visitors-Any safety issues-PDC area.

Most of the drug cartel activity is well away from the tourist areas. You have more drug activity in a major metropolitan area in the US than in the Mayan Riviera.

Have a great vacation and I hope this eases your fears.

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Riviera Tours- Day Tours
Mayan Riviera Tours- Day...
91 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Virginia
Level Contributor
161 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent Visitors-Any safety issues-PDC area.

It's always bugged me a little how, when a traveller asks about the safety of the area (a legitimate question for ANY area,come on), some like to act as though it's stupid or make sarcastic responses.

Im not really saying it happened here, Im just saying that, for a lot of people, this is a huge deal (leaving the country and going on an expensive vacation), and they have a right to know how the safety is. Not everyone is able to travel extensively, have time to do a ton of research on an area, or distinguish the media frenzy from the facts.

Let's not make them feel stupid when they come and ask a legitimate question on this forum. Don't worry; Im not accusing anybody, but we ALL know that it happens on here... search some "safety" topics and see how snooty some of the responses are.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
184 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent Visitors-Any safety issues-PDC area.

Not sure about Cancun but we were in Playa for 2 weeks, Tulum, Akumal and Cozumel and never once felt threatened. Now my 18 yr old son looks like "Che" and once in awhile the vendors would ask if he wanted some weed but we told him not to even go there. We road public transportation and walked quite a bit and were totally fine. We did take some side roads, Calle 6 up to 30th and the kids saw living spaces that made them uncomfortable but all the better again no one yelled anything at us or gave us dirty looks.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Hostel Che
Hostel Che
404 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent Visitors-Any safety issues-PDC area.

Tks mlc2005 on the constructive support and comments for all of us.

I'm the last one to be a Nervous Nellie, but proceed w/ caution. Of course I dont believe all the hoopla in the Media and yes the Metroplex and Texas Border have areas I'm sure far more dangerous.

Just wanted to get a "taste" of the "Real Deal" so me and my Butterkiss can enjoy one of our favorite parts of Mexico to visit.

Cheers Mates,

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent Visitors-Any safety issues-PDC area.

mic2005: We don't think any post in this thread has been sarcastic or accused the poster of being stupid. However as you yourself pointed out there have been numerous threads on this topic over the last few months and all elicit the same response...there are no drug war activities that have threated tourists in the Riviera Maya. At some point the same question and the same answer calls for a little levity.

hwdytx: you might be interrested in a blog entry we did on this topic of safety and crime in this part of Mexico. Hopefully it will help answer some of your questions.;

…wordpress.com/2009/…

Have a great vacation.

Tony and Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel and Bar

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Luna Blue Hotel
Luna Blue Hotel
958 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent Visitors-Any safety issues-PDC area.

Well said Cheri!

Last time I was there though there was something that bothered us.

ROBOTS!

Are they still a problem or has the Board Of Tourism finally solved the Robot problems that were plaguing the region this summer?

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent Visitors-Any safety issues-PDC area.

We have the insurance that Sam Waterston sells. Do you know if this will cover me while I am traveling?