We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess Trip Report

Houston
Level Contributor
444 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess Trip Report

I am back from a FABULOUS 4 day mini vacation. My only regret is that i didnt stay at least 5 nights.

I took my 6 month old so i needed more time. This was my 3rd time in Cancun area...i am an avid traveler who only stays in highly rated hotels.

GRP is it! It is humongous! beautiful, clean, has everything you need. July was very humid and hot so beware.

Check in: service was slow, but i got an upgrade to a deluxe suite! score!

Trolley System: was always at the lobby within a few minutes, harder to track at the stops but i never had a problem from 7am till midnight getting a trolley. One time i got too hot and proceeded to start walking, trolley caught up with me and picked us up. Mind you we were a group of 4 with a stroller and a baby and we always had room on the trolley.

Food: Buffets on both sides were average...nothing to write home about but i am very picky everyone else in my group loved it. Ate at 2 specialty restuarants (seafood and Asian), service was slow but atmosphere was beautiful and food was delicious! even for my foodie standards! Never had problems making reservations.

Pools: Clean, beautiful, right temp, lots and lots of swim up bars, a few wait staff came around if you tip they never leave!

Beach: incredible. yes it is rocky but it is soooo neat never have i been able to swin out soooooo far and still water up to my knees its all because of the rocks. and after the first 6 or 10 feet its soft sand not rocks. get a beach massage for $40 OMG nirvana!!

Rooms: Deluxe room in a swim up building was huge, clean, yes shower runs but put a tower down and try not to shower against the door..common sense. beautiful room, my mother took pics to design her bedroom and bathroom like that. Towel rooms on each floor to get extra towels. Maid service was good, i left a couple of bucks for tips.

Bars/nightlife: Shows were really good, professionals! Bars everywhere!! Live music was really good. Flaming coffee bar wow!! i couldnt ask for more. If you are looking for a cancun style party till u drop with spring break atmosphere not the hotel for you. But there is nice music you can go dancing and have drinks and have a good time and walk over to your room...or stumble lol

Platinum service: I was not but often mistaken...i dont know how cause my band was not silver but i got offered some services lol...they had a nice lounge/internet cafe, they got a reserved area at the beach and had towel service and a private conceirge. their rooms are the only ocean view and steps from the beach. didnt see their private pool.

If i would complain i would say....

get some fans around the hotel, lobby open areas and restaurants it was very warm at times. Service could be better wait staff were so slow sometimes...one day i missed lunch by 2 mins and they made a big deal about letting me in..i just walked over to the sports bar and ordered sandwiches and burgers..

mosquitos were bad, i did bring repellant and a clip on fan...however the housekeeping staff left my door open and let in mosquitos in my room!! one bit my baby i was furious...but had them spray and got the AC really cold and they all left.

Didnt get to see the spa/gym :( next time.

Nevertheless yes i am going back...as soon as possible

Your Local Pub
Level Contributor
501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess Trip Report

Great report, thanks for taking the time.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess Trip Report

Thanks for the great review! I am not going for another 5 months (from today, now that I think of it), so I am always looking for the reviews! LOL.

Glad you had a fabulous trip and hope you get to go back soon!

Cheers...

moodymcsue
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess Trip Report

Thanks for the detailed review. My husband and I will be there in 8 days - our first time to Mexico. We can hardly wait!

N.O.T.L.
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess Trip Report

thanks much for the great review, heading down this wednesday Aug 5 with the family 6 of us. Is there wireless service in the lobby area? By the sounds of it this place is wonderful. We are taking our 4 kids 18, 16, 10, 7.. Do you know if there are life jackets to use at the beach or should we pack our ouwn? Was it as challenging to get a shaded area at the beach? Did you see lots of kids there? Any other trip would be greatly appreciated.

N.O.T.L.
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess Trip Report

thanks much for the great review, heading down this wednesday Aug 5 with the family 6 of us. Is there wireless service in the lobby area? By the sounds of it this place is wonderful. We are taking our 4 kids 18, 16, 10, 7.. Do you know if there are life jackets to use at the beach or should we pack our ouwn? Was it as challenging to get a shaded area at the beach? Did you see lots of kids there? Any other trip would be greatly appreciated.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess Trip Report

Thanks for the report!

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess Trip Report

Thanks for the great info! I will be there on the 8th as well with hubby and my 2 boys 12 and 15! They are soooooo excited! We went last year to the Grand Serinis and had a great time so it is nice to read that this resort is good.

Michelle

Houston
Level Contributor
444 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess Trip Report

I'm not sure about the wireless internet.

No problem getting shaded palapas at the beach even with my large group, and we never woke up early to reserve seats...just walked over after breakfast.

yes there are lots of kids but several activities to keep them busy so the place doesnt seem overrun by them. your kids will love it there is even a kids club! and all day ice cream, so many pools.

I would bring your own life jackets and floats.

Glenrothes, Fife
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess Trip Report

Hi

Glad you enjoyed your holiday. We go at the end of September and I am not sure whether to upgrade to the deluxe or not the options we have is upgrade with our TA, contact the hotel or go with the flow and see what happens. Can you tell me how you managed to get the upgrade? Did you do the $20 handshake?

Is it worth paying the extra from Junior Suite to Deluxe?

Sorry for all the questions.

Joyce

Houston
Level Contributor
444 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess Trip Report

I just asked for an upgrade..i was very nice and smiled alot, and i said please alot. I was in no way flirting as my hubby and baby were standing right next to me. The guy said i dont know let me check..and then he did it. i said lots of thank yous as well.