We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Those who write bad reviews

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Those who write bad reviews

I always find it interesting when someone posts a horrible review about a resort....It is funny when reviews have been very favorable and then the one post comes up "Dont go here it is terrible"....logic would tell you that if in fact the resort was terrible it would get reviews stating that....I don't know just makes me mad...what about you?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Those who write bad reviews

It depends on the review.

If it something stupid like a bad review because the poster did not get an upgrade, had a bad experience on a tour, thought the resort was too big then those I ignore.

But, having posted negative reviews for resorts other gush about myself, I do not just pay attention to the good ones. Rather, I appreciate the ones with real attention to detail and those that do not use the word "amazing" 25 times in the review.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Those who write bad reviews

Depends what they have to say and how constructive they are.

Some people are overly fussy or unrealistic, which is annoying, admittedly.

Others don't do their research and proceed to complain about things they should have known prior to booking (eg the resort isn't beach-front, room service isn't included, you need restaurant reservations, etc). This is also annoying.

Both these types of review I tend to disregard.

However, don't disregard all the bad stuff as some is genuine and constructive. I disregarded all the bad reviews/comments made about the Excellence Riviera prior to our stay there, but found many were fair comments (eg food was not great IMO, and I'm honestly not a food buff; service could be spotty; maid service was often late and turn-down non-existent, etc). I posted a review making these comments and giving the ERC 4/5, and got attacked by a fair few people for my comments. What I said was IMO totally fair and honest, and not at all overly picky; after all, if you pay for certain services you should receive them.

Bad reviews or comments can be very useful when looking at a resort. Just because most people highly rate it does not mean it's necessarily that great, nor does it mean it will suit you personally. Some people are more easily pleased than others, so if some do comment on things like food, it's worth taking them on board rather than disregarding them as I did.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Those who write bad reviews

Good point....I appreciate that

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,324 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Those who write bad reviews

I look at the reviews as conversation. Sometimes they say more about the reviewer than the property. I appreciate people who break down the areas and comment on them individually.

I don't think the "rankings" are valid at all. Reviewers are the minority of travellers, so it's a small group that comment. They're not based on objective criteria, either, so it's hit and miss. I'd call it something more like TA popularity. It's fun though.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Those who write bad reviews

I believe everyone has a right to their opinion. We don't all see the same place the same way. We don't all want the same things out of life or a vacation. That said, if the review is not malicious, then the author has a right to express what they experienced.

I do think that people should be aware that the internet is a powerful tool and should not bad mouth a place or event for the perfomance of one person on one day. We all have bad days and we don't know what this person experienced before coming to work.

Life here is hard and as tourists and foreigners we need to be careful what we say. It is not just to give a hotel or tour a scorching review for minor incidents. It is fair to mention the minor incidents and your displeasure...but couch the words in a way that others won't assume this is how things always go.

Through the internet we have the power over the livelihoods of others...others who are living on MUCH less and with MUCH less than the budget traveler has back home. We need to be careful and sensitive.

Rather than a scorching review, perhaps a word with those in charge or a follow-up email. Negativity for the sake of negativity will only bring more negativity. Constructive critisism is not always well recieved, but if done with a pure and gentle heart, can be helpful.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Those who write bad reviews

I hate those bad reviews! We are leaving on Sat for Grand Sunset Princess and the last 2 reviews have been terrible but I also look at the fact that both reviewers joined the day they wrote the reviews!I find a review is much more credible if the person has been on TA asking questions about the place they are going.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Those who write bad reviews

How about the bad reviews due to "rained several days" or "beach and surf was lousy"....just so many factors in people's reviews. I think you have to read quite a few reviews, then make your own decision about a particular place. If you find it's the same complaint over and over like food, service, etc, it's probably a valid point.

uk
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Those who write bad reviews

They can be very useful, esp. if what they are saying is backed up by photos to match. I posted I negative review for Akumal beach resort, previous reviews had been surprisingly possitive. However, since my review (with photos), others have also reviewed it negatively and I wish they had been on the site before I booked, as I never would have gone. However, what I do find anoying is a negative review of a place, then when you read it fully, you find that their irk was with the tour company, or the airline (canceled flights etc). That's just not fair to the hotel involved.

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Those who write bad reviews

Generally I find the negative reviews helpful. When faced with pages of reviews I often scan to the negative ones first. I usually know all the good things about where I'm going to go but the negative ones sometimes point out things that others may miss or gloss over. I do, however, also find that those that post negative reviews seem to focus on a few minor things that I might not care about. Or they had an interaction with staff that didn't go their way. i.e. towel had a hole in it and they wanted the whole trip comped and they didn't get it.

Forest Park, Ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Those who write bad reviews

I read the reviews, both good and bad, with a grain of salt. We look at reoccuring themes in the reviews, ie: beach was full of seaweed, great pool, staff,etc. I love the ones that complain that the maid didn't speal English ; ) Those reviews tend to go straight to the mental trash heap. Unless your're searching Cincinnati or something : )