We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

torn here !! sandos caracol or occ flamenco xcaret ??

kendal, uk
Destination Expert
for Kendal
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
torn here !! sandos caracol or occ flamenco xcaret ??

hello !! I have been looking at both these resorts and this holiday would be for our 10th wedding anniversary, and we would lo

ve to renew our vows,I realise that there is is a significant price difference between the two ( well, here in the uk ) so any feedback would be great !

cheers,

juby

cancun mexico
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: torn here !! sandos caracol or occ flamenco xcaret ??

Hi,

Happy early anniversary :)

Well? We stayed at the Occ X caret last year, and it was wonderful... not much of a beach ( a lagoon) but everything else was 5 star...

The Sandos Caracol , is where we are going the end of Sept. (Never been there) but we're going 4 days to the OGX first, because we just have to go back.. in fact we bought into a timeshare there!

But I like to try new things, so were trying the Caracol, and Im afraid after reading some reviews... so I do have it booked, but Im thinking about changing it..

But the OGX...go.. its awesome!

Have a nice trip,

Cammy

from Minnesota, USA

vancouver
Level Contributor
603 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: torn here !! sandos caracol or occ flamenco xcaret ??

We have only been to the Occ and we did not care for it as we really missed the beach. It only has a small man-made lagoon. We didn't think that this would bother us, but it did. Which hotel is more expensive in the UK?

kendal, uk
Destination Expert
for Kendal
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: torn here !! sandos caracol or occ flamenco xcaret ??

Hi cammy, thanks for the feedback, proper torn here, wondering if to go for the the more expensive hotel, ore the less expensensve. hey,whats do do ? so , anyway, please could you let me know ?

kendal, uk
Destination Expert
for Kendal
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: torn here !! sandos caracol or occ flamenco xcaret ??

Hi sunandstars, the occ flamenco xcaret is the more expensive, by quite a lot, the sandos caracol is a bargain really, but the last few reviews have been awful, hence my dilema !!!!

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: torn here !! sandos caracol or occ flamenco xcaret ??

As the saying goes, u get what u pay for, not been yet but going to ogx in October. And like yourself we've read many reviews. For us Brits 10 hours on a plane is a long time to take a gamble. Ogx gets more good reviews than bad. That's why we booked it.

Payin that bit extra could be the differance of having a wonderfull holiday with fantastic memorys........ Or a s**t holiday with all the regrets. Book ogx lol.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: torn here !! sandos caracol or occ flamenco xcaret ??

i went to sandos caracol in sept had a great time

Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: torn here !! sandos caracol or occ flamenco xcaret ??

Hi . . . Been to the Xcaret twice. Loved it, loved it! The beach is very, very small (only a lagoon), but we just had a great time! Go and enjoy!

vancouver
Level Contributor
603 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: torn here !! sandos caracol or occ flamenco xcaret ??

juby5- Eveyone likes different resorts for various reasons.It is weird that the Occ is so much more money than Sandos. In Canada the two resorts are the same or close to the same price. Are these the only two resorts that you are considering? We have been to Mexico many times and this area is our favorite. We always have fun no matter where we stay,we just love some other resorts better. How can you not have fun in paradise! Good luck on your decision.

P.S. If you do go to Occ. we were in building 18 and it was a great location, close to the activity pool, but not too far from the lobby.

Albany, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
543 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: torn here !! sandos caracol or occ flamenco xcaret ??

Hi Juby5,

We LOVE the Occidental. Going back in November and again in February. I also have a week to use at the Sandos Caracol sometime next year. I know that the Sandos is the last resort on the road in Playacar, so it's quite a distance if you decide to walk to 5th avenue in Playa Del Carmen (I'd personally take a cab), it's also next to a residential neighborhood, all very nice. Keep in mind this is right on the ocean, but not sure about the quality of the beach there.....I guess you'd have to ask.

The Occidental is off by itself very large and spread out, but we totally had a blast. The first trip there were 4 of us and we were trying to do the bar crawl....just at the resort....only made it to 5 of them :) We were in building 17 and loved the little shuttle that they offer to take you around the resort if you don't feel like walking. I is on the ocean, but no beach like you'd think of like in Playa Del Carmen....no miles of sand to walk....but the lagoon is large and great for swimming and snorkeling. The big buffet/seafood restaurant is located right on the edge of the property and you have a good view of the lagoon and the other side the ocean. If any of you would like to see pictures of Occidental or Xcaret park let me know. As far as the park goes, they use to include tickets to the park but I understand they don't do that anymore, but you can buy them at a reduced price, and just walk to the Xcaret park. That in itself was worth it to us.

So I agree with the rest....go to the Occidental Xcaret....you'll love it..

ps.. they have a gazebo on the point overlooking the ocean and there was a wedding there the time we were there....very elegent and very romantic...I have pics of that as well (not the wedding but the gazebo).

Oh one more thing....if you want to go into Playa Del Carem from OCX it costs about 10.00 us.

kendal, uk
Destination Expert
for Kendal
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: torn here !! sandos caracol or occ flamenco xcaret ??

Thanks so much guys for the replies, very helpful.

It does all come down to cost really, we would love to go for 3 weeks and currently sandos caracol for us 3 is around £3,890 and the occ xcaret is around £4,550 .

I would be open to any other suggestions though !!