We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun vs Playa Del Carmen

scottie045
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun vs Playa Del Carmen

Hi,

I am from the Uk and planning a Mexican wedding.

I have pretty much decided to go with the Royal in Cancun, however i am now debating if the Royal in Playa del Carmen would be better...

Does anyone here have any preferences? Dont know much about Playa del Carmen so any advice much appreciated!

Also, how would you get from Cancun to Playa del Carmen? How much would it be in a taxi?

Thanks

Your Local Pub
Level Contributor
501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun vs Playa Del Carmen

Are you having a Mexican wedding or a wedding in Mexico?

scottie045
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun vs Playa Del Carmen

sorry, a wedding in mexico

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun vs Playa Del Carmen

I don't know about the Royals, but Cancun (the town)is more of a party place (think spring break). PDC (the area) is more lay back (it has better beaches IMHO).

Both Royals seem to get great reviews.

KC MO
Level Contributor
638 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun vs Playa Del Carmen

I agree with a previous post.

Cancun Spring Break atmosphere

Playa relaxed during the day and plenty of places to party at night.

Depending on how you book the hotel. The transfer may be included in your package.

From the Royal in Playa you can walk to all the night life and shopping. Also you can walk to the ferry if you want to go to Cozemal for the day.

Beaches can vary in Cancun or Playa. check out the Royal web cams.

Congrats!

Milton, Pennsylvania
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun vs Playa Del Carmen

Just returned from RoyalPDC and saw five weddings on the beach - One was a unique mayan wedding ceremony with american participants. I believe the beach in PDC is wider and certainly has less waves than Cancun. Definitely a quieter setting in Playa

Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun vs Playa Del Carmen

I agree Cancun is a spring break kind of place with lots of young people and it is very big. I do not feel like I am in Mexico when in Cancun.

Playa Del Carmen is more laid back and although it is getting bigger it is still nice. Personally I would not pay to go to Cancun, but that is just me.

east kilbride
Level Contributor
135 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun vs Playa Del Carmen

Hi Scottie,

Been to both Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. Agree totally with other forum members - Cancun has more nightlife and Playa not so built up and more relaxed. I have been to Cancun once and Playa five times so that says it all from me. Not to say Playa does not have nightlife because it does, just not so busy and crowded.

If in Cancun and wanting to visit Playa, best to get the bus from Cancun Bus terminus to Playa. Does take about hor and a half. Last year it was only about $4 one way (air conditioned bus). A taxi can cost anywhere between $80-$100. We got a taxi once which cost $90.

Best Wishes and hope the wedding goes well.

Del

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun vs Playa Del Carmen

Someone would have to pay me to stay in the concrete jungle that is Cancun.

Playa is getting busier, but you can still easily feel like you're in Mexico if you venture off the beaten path a couple of blocks.

It doesn't take much longer to get to Playa from the Cancun airport than it takes to get to the northern part of the hotel zone in Cancun. The airport is situated south of Cancun.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun vs Playa Del Carmen

How is the shopping scene in Playa del Carmen?

Brenda :~)

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun vs Playa Del Carmen

I have only been to PV, and Cancun. However, I have done months of research about PDC. I wish we had come to PDC first and not stayed in Cancun. Even though we stayed in a smaller hotel that offered non AI, Cancun to me felt like a mini-Las Vegas.

We are looking forward to staying in PDC. I guess it depends on what kind of place you are looking for? Will you be haivng a lot of guests flying in? Younger folks?