We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water quality at beach monitored?

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Topic
Water quality at beach monitored?

Does anyone know if the water quality is monitored at Playa del Carmen?

Please don't give me "this is Mexico". I've been to other developing nations that monitor water quality at beaches in tourist areas.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,537 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Water quality at beach monitored?

Can you be more specific? For example, building specifications require separation of plumbing and so forth, including on the beach, so that nothing that shouldn't be running off into the ocean does so...

Steve

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Water quality at beach monitored?

I'm just wondering if the government regularly checks the beach water quality for high-levels of containment.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water quality at beach monitored?

I think you mean "contaminants."

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Water quality at beach monitored?

LOL yes like unsafe bacteria levels

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Water quality at beach monitored?

Sure, I see them every morning with thier test tubes and bunson burners just going to town.

GROW UP

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water quality at beach monitored?

If this is what you are wondering...there are no porta potties on the beach. Usually all is swell but on the weekends there will be an occasional turd that floats by. Yup! it is Mexico...

I guess I would take the ocean over the swim up bar with a gaggle of Texans and Brits having standoff.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,349 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water quality at beach monitored?

Someone is monitoring water quality at the beaches. Cozumel is trying to find the cause at one public beach that was recently found to be the most polluted beach in the state.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Water quality at beach monitored?

Irish-Transpl - "GROW UP"? Not going to apologize for caring about my health in a place I am looking to live.

RobertSDF - Thanks for your educated response. That is what I wanted to know and glad to see Mexico is going

after the people that are contaminating the beach water.

Does anyone know if they publish these reports regularly in a local newspaper or online?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,234 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water quality at beach monitored?

many years ago, I went to the Paradisus in Cozumel with some friends and I was walking south to a hotel a few hotels down where the decent snorkeling was supposed to be... Luckily I was in reef shoes, not barefoot, because the sand started to get squishy - and I noticed a huge pipe leading from a hotel into the water... 2 guys were in the water where the pipe let out (warmer water I guess!).

It was definitely sewage (whether untreated or not - I'm not an expert on this) - it smelled just like a cess pool.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Water quality at beach monitored?

Sadly that happens in so many countries. Even those with strict rules regard sewage drainage. I suspect that is more the cause of "Travelers Diarrhea" than the usual suspects of drinking water, ice, and vegetables....