We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation.. ages 2-62.... need resort help!!

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kamiah, Idaho
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Topic
Family vacation.. ages 2-62.... need resort help!!

We have 12 family members going on our first family Mexico trip. I just can not decide which resort will best fit all of us. We have a few things that are of importance: 1. good beach. snorkeling on/nearby would be an added plus too. 2. things for kids to do. We have kids age 2-16 going. A nice kids club would be great, ceramics, games, etc. to keep them entertained. 3. Good food. We are not food "snobs" but we all have different tastes, so that is something we all would like to be really good.

We would like palapas on beach, that would be nice. My husband and I stayed at the IB Quetzal 5 years ago and loved that. Now we just want all our family to enjoy. A few of the resorts that I have been thinking of is: Sandos Playacar, Barcelo Maya, Catalonia Riviera Maya and Palladium. I just dont know which to do. Any other options would be great. Thanks for the help!

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
802 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family vacation.. ages 2-62.... need resort help!!

Hi Melleo,

We just returned from Grand Sunset Princess with our 2 boys (12 and 15) and we had a wonderful time. They do have a great kids club for the little ones and also an older kids club for 12 to 17 year olds. We saw a number of large family groups and everyone seem to be having a great time! They do have ceramics there and a room with fooze ball and pool tables and also lots of planned things like beach volleyball and water polo for both kids and adults.The food was really good with lots of variety.If you have any further questions just PM me and I will try to answer them.

Michelle

Edmonton Alberta
Level Contributor
698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family vacation.. ages 2-62.... need resort help!!

I would strongly suggest Sandos Playacar.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family vacation.. ages 2-62.... need resort help!!

There is no snorkeling off of the beach at the Grand Sunset Princess or the Sandos Playacar. You can always take a bus or taxi further south to where there is. There is snorkeling off the beach at Barcelo, Catalonia and Palladium. Barcelo has no shade palapas on the beach. They do have palm trees though.

If you loved the Iberostar Quetzal you might also consider the 4 family Iberostars in Playa Paraiso. There is no snorkeling off the beach but a short taxi ride away is the fishing village of Puerto Morales where you can go to the pier and get a guide in a boat to take you out snorkeling for about an hour and a half for about $25 including the equipment. These 4 Iberostars are huge compared to the Quetzal. They are the Maya, Lindo, Paraiso Beach and Del Mar. They have pools running all through them and lots of activities for all ages. They have a disco and also a teen disco. Great kids club. There is a $4 shuttle that goes into and back from Playa Del Carmen about 4 times a day. The last one is at 9:00pm. This resort is 20 to 25 minutes south of the airport. If you stay at the Maya/Lindo you can use all 4 resorts.

Kamiah, Idaho
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family vacation.. ages 2-62.... need resort help!!

thanks for all the responses so far.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family vacation.. ages 2-62.... need resort help!!

I would suggest Sandos Playacar or one of the Iberostar resorts.

Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family vacation.. ages 2-62.... need resort help!!

If you loved the IB Quetzal why not go back? We love

it there and are going back for visit #8.

7. Re: Family vacation.. ages 2-62.... need resort help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 07:19