We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honest opinions on Sandos Caracol

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
853 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Honest opinions on Sandos Caracol

I was just online and noticed they had fabulous deals on this resort the week before xmas. My question is, is it really that bad? I have read some reviews about the sickness and the pools so am a bit worried. But its a real bargain...

How is the beach? What are the A La Cartes like and the reservations? Food ? Pools ? Anyone help?

Surely it will all be rectified by December??

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honest opinions on Sandos Caracol

This is a good value resort.

They have 5 pools and periodically close one for maintenance...no big deal.

There are almost 1000 rooms so this equates to 2-3000 peeps on site for restaurants and buffets. There are good deals as they are trying to maintain higher occupancy. It is my pick for one of the best values in the PDC area. Great spa, a theatre and disco, shows and beach pool activities...lots of restaurants (5+) and especially like the Italian (no reservations) and that great Laguna buffet.

People get sick all the time. If they are sick at the resort the chances are they contacted it on their travel to Mexico in the airport or planes. They have a clinic on site and I don't worry about health issues at all.

It is in the jungle fringe so expect some wildlife.

Texas
Level Contributor
853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honest opinions on Sandos Caracol

Thanks for that. Do they have a nice beach, rocky? How would it compare to the Grand Riviera Princess? That one also has great deals. I had read that at the Sandos they let locals in the resort at weekends and it gets really crowded, is that true?

Texas
Level Contributor
853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honest opinions on Sandos Caracol

Oh and what kind of wildlife? Is it very lush and tropical then ?

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honest opinions on Sandos Caracol

Locals....nope! Paying guests. Gated resort.

The water has rocks but also has lots of sandy areas. The beach is all sand. The rocks give structure and there is mild snorkeling there. You'll be able to feed the fishies...the pelicans visit and that is a sign fish are available.

Lots of variety in the bird/critter area. Lots of vegetation...one of the reasons why I enjoy it.

Texas
Level Contributor
853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honest opinions on Sandos Caracol

Can you compare it to the Grand Riviera Princess? Both are very reasonably priced right now.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
802 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honest opinions on Sandos Caracol

Hi,

I stayed at Sandos a few years back and just returned from Grand Sunset Princess a few weeks back and between the 2 the Grand Sunset is by far better!!

Mind you I may be a bit jaded as when we were at Sandos Caracol they had a fire and things were shut down and blocked off so this definitly changed the experience. Overall Sandos was good but Grand Sunset has much nicer rooms and the grounds are much prettier. I did find the staff at both resorts fantastic! Hopefully this helps.

Michelle

7. Re: Honest opinions on Sandos Caracol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 12:12
8. Re: Honest opinions on Sandos Caracol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 06:23