We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalonia, Gran Bahia, or Barcelo Maya

mpls
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Catalonia, Gran Bahia, or Barcelo Maya

We are trying to decide between Catalonia Riviera Maya, Gran Bahia Coba, or Barcelo Maya Beach for the end of October. These resorts are within our budget. We would like good beach snorkeling, good food, and a nice pool. Any information or opinions would be apprciated.

Mebane, North...
Level Contributor
125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catalonia, Gran Bahia, or Barcelo Maya

Me and my husband stayed at the Gran Bahia in Feb but not the Coba side.We were on the Tulum side staying in the club hacienda section. It is a huge resort! The pools are great. I think you would really like the resort.

I haven't been to your other 2 options so I cannot compare.

We thought about going back for our Nov trip but decided to try a resort we haven't been to yet.

We stayed at Xcaret Occidental and Grand Palladium. Those might be places to check out as well.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catalonia, Gran Bahia, or Barcelo Maya

I don't think you will find decent (if any) snorkeling at the Catalonia. I've heard from others there is nice snorkeling at the Barcelo Maya.

Mentioned in this post
vancouver
Level Contributor
603 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catalonia, Gran Bahia, or Barcelo Maya

We have also been looking at the Catolina Riviera Maya and heard that the snorkeling is pretty good as it is rocky and has a natural reef. The beach is not sandy. I found alot of info on this resort on the Puerto Adventura forum. If you do go to the Barcelo only the Colonial and the Palace are open. The Maya Beach and the Tropical are closed, possibly until early December.

PA
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catalonia, Gran Bahia, or Barcelo Maya

The Gran Bahia Coba is not beach front. It sits back from the water with the Akumal section in front with the water views. However, the resort is awesome and there is so much to do there. Snorkeling was great. We spent hours every day we were there in the water snorkeling. Food options were abundant. When we were there (3 years ago) you could use the buffets at any of the 3 resorts. (this may have changed) The only down side to the resort is that it is far from the airport and far from shopping and clubs.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Glen Carbon Il
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catalonia, Gran Bahia, or Barcelo Maya

Barcelo Palace has the best beach and snorkeling out of the three. Grounds and pools are comparable at the Bahia and Barcelo.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catalonia, Gran Bahia, or Barcelo Maya

Oops...my mistake...I was thinking of the Catalonia Playa Maroma. I didn't realize there was another Catalonia.

Mentioned in this post
cleveland
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Catalonia, Gran Bahia, or Barcelo Maya

Hi there I have been to the Catalonia and the Barcelo but no the Bahia resorts.I would go with the Barcelo resort the beach there is fantastic.I know they are giving free upgrades to the Tropical colonial due to slow time of the year.I have heard some people say booking the tropical/colonial is cheaper to book because of the others getting upgraded.The Cat is nice but the downfalls for me was no fridges in rooms,beach and limited food choices.Have you looked at the Ocean coral at all I hear its suppose to be nice and it may be in your price range.Have fun we also leave in Oct.We got a fantastic deal back in May for the Secrets Silversand.

Mentioned in this post
cleveland
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Catalonia, Gran Bahia, or Barcelo Maya

Hi again one more thing to check out is Apple vacations they have great prices.

9. Re: Catalonia, Gran Bahia, or Barcelo Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2010, 06:19