We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senior Trip Dec 2010

kansas
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Senior Trip Dec 2010

I am beginning the planning for my son's senior trip that will be December 2010. We will be going with a group of 7 boys and their parents. They want to go to Mexico, but I don't know where to begin,other than we want an inclusive. Any suggestions??

Cancun
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Senior Trip Dec 2010

You guys will have a great time at either Cancun or PDC. The young ones will probably enjoy being close 5th Avene, where most of the bars, restaurants and clubs are. I believe there is a RIU that is AI and is with in walking distance of 5th Avenue. You might check that out

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Senior Trip Dec 2010

I would try to stay somewhere within walking distance or a short cab ride of PDC (or Cancun) in case you want to leave the resort for shopping/nightlife/authentic Mexican.

The Rius are a $5 cab ride or approx 20-30 min walk from what I have heard. We are staying at Riu Palace Mexico in PDC in January.

There are 6 Rius in PDC: the Palace Mexico, Palace Riviera Maya, Yucatan, Playacar, Tequila and Lupita. If you stay at one of the palaces you can use the facilities at the others. I think if you stay at a non-palace you can use the facilities at all others except the palaces. This might be good for some variety- from what I have heard each resort has a slightly different atmosphere.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
KC MO
Level Contributor
657 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Senior Trip Dec 2010

Do you plan to go out with them in the evening to the clubs. Or are the boys on their own?

If you are going out with them or letting go on their own I would recommend Playa.

If you do not plan to with them at night I would say Cancun. Many of the resorts offer package club outings. They know have many they left with and try to make sure they bring them all back at the end of the night.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Senior Trip Dec 2010

About the bar hopping tours in Cancun, they DO take you but they DO NOT bring you back. You're on your own to get back to the resorts.(bus, taxi).

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
KC MO
Level Contributor
657 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Senior Trip Dec 2010

Reallly, they don't bring you back. A few years ago when booked with entertainment staff at the hotel, they brought everyone back.

Maybe not all do that or maybe none of them do it now.

Sorry for the incorrect info.

JDKC

CT
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Senior Trip Dec 2010

We have traveled to Mexico 4x. I think Playa is where you want to go not Cancun. Cancun is more high rises and more touristy. Choose a resort near 5th avenue and you'll meet the needs of everyone i.e. close to nightlife, beautiful beaches, excursions, etc. If you go on locogringo there is a map of the resorts. The resorts approximately from Wyndham Viva Azteca - Sandos Playacar are within a 5 minute cab drive to 5th avenue. You can't go wrong with an Iberostar or RIU but there are other nice and more affordable ones in that stretch too. On our shuttle ride to the airport to depart in April a mom from the midwest with her daughter and graduating senior group had a GREAT time at one of the RIUs. If I were you I'd do the research and present the group with 3 options and then vote. That way you don't feel totally responsible for the choice. Once you narrow it down to 3, post on the forum for advanatages and disadvantages of each.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Viva Wyndham Azteca
Viva Wyndham Azteca
3,971 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
7. Re: Senior Trip Dec 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2010, 04:18