We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking my 84 year old Mom - what tours?

Alberta
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Taking my 84 year old Mom - what tours?

Hi, we are heading down for our 4th trip on Oct. 31st for 8 nights. My 84 year old Mom is coming along (niece's wedding so there will probably be about 20 or more people).

I was thinking what tours or activities we could do to include Mom. We will go into Playa for a day of shopping and was trying to think of other activities that do not include a lot of walking. She is in good shape for her age but with the heat I think we need to be careful. I thought we would go into Xcaret (staying at OGX) for the evening show and I think a group of us will do the ziplining at Xplore. I asked her the other day if she would go into a wheelchair and she wasn't too happy with that thought, but I think I will work on her for that.

Any ideas?

Chez Maya Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
Alestal
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Paseo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Univers Maya
Sightseeing Tours
United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking my 84 year old Mom - what tours?

The tour of the ruins at Tulum isn't too taxing. Maybe she could get a wheelchair there. They have tractor that takes you from the parking lot to the ruins.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking my 84 year old Mom - what tours?

The first tour I thought of was the evening show at Xcaret! We really enjoyed it. Leave yourself some time to walk slowly into the show. There is more to see than just the show! I don't want to spoil it!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking my 84 year old Mom - what tours?

As i recall, the pathways at Tulum aren't particularly stoller-friendly, so I'm not sure about using a wheelchair there. If you go to the ruins at Coba, you can hire a tricycle guy to pedal Mom (and you) around. You can climb the pyramid at Coba too, which is fun (although, obviously, not likely something that Mom will be able to participate in).

As noted, I think the heat is going to be (potentially) the biggest problem. Mom needs to drink plenty of bottled water and if she feels herself getting too warm, she should retreat to somewhere air conditioned pronto. For this reason, I would leave ALL excursions until you're Mom's had a chance to acclimatize a bit. If she's doing fine at the resort, then you can certainly venture offsite but if she finds it a struggle when she can cool off in air conditioning, then treks into the jungle to Coba or even into PdC for some retail therapy might not be a good idea.

HTH

PS - I feel your pain re: the wheelchair. My own mother has finally relented (and swallowed her pride!) and will now use a wheelchair from time to time. One bonus that my Mum didn't expect is the "preferential" treatment that she gets at the airport if she's in a wheelchair - she LOVES that part!!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking my 84 year old Mom - what tours?

The evening special at Xcaret would be a great idea. Not to hot, fairly short walk between the evening venues. I sure she will enjoy the equestrian show, the Mayan games and the music and dancing at the Espectacular show.

Another option would be a catamaran trip out of Puerto Aventuras.

www.fatcatsail.com or www.yucatanexplorer.com.mx

There are several others and the concierge at your hotel may be able to line you up with something.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Aventuras
Puerto Aventuras
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking my 84 year old Mom - what tours?

I suggest avoiding group tours with set times. It will be easier on mom to hire a private van or car and tour at your own pace.

OH, I've got one; At Puerto Aventuras, take a cab to the marina. She can stroll around the shops, (nice, upscale) that are around the dolphin enclosure.

You'll be able to see the dolphin show for free, and there are shops and restaurants with air conditioning. The restaurants have open air seating

with nice views.

www.dolphindiscovery.com

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Aventuras
Puerto Aventuras
Riviera Maya, Mexico
6. Re: Taking my 84 year old Mom - what tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2010, 05:22