We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Maroma Beach

St. Louis
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Maroma Beach

Should we be concerned about the post of the mosquitos being bad here. We have been to this area many times never had a problem with mosquitos?? Have never been to Secrets Maroma. Should we think about changing resorts? Thank you for any input.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,215 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach

No, don't change your plans. They fog the property every evening at about 6:00pm to help with the bugs.

Newtown Square, PA
Level Contributor
603 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach

Hello, My name is Lauren and I work for Secrets Resorts. Secrets Maroma Beach, like all resorts in the area, can have mosquitoes from time to time during the rainy season. We do our best to keep them away from guests through professional pest control treatments. We also provide natural insect repellent along with other toiletries in your bathroom. I haven't heard too many recent reports of serious mosquito problems, so with a little insect repellent due diligence, you should be fine!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach

We were at SMB last October and the mosquitos were very bad. The worst I've ever seen even in a resort that's pretty much in the middle of a jungle. They made it impossible to be outside after dark, even with mosquito repellant on!

That being said - don't change your plans. SMB is one of the most amazingly beautiful resorts that I have ever been to. The food, rooms, service and the beach especially is just off the charts! You will not be disappointed!

Just bring lots of mosquito repellant and try to stay inside after dark.

Beechluver

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach

We were at a neighboring resort (the El Dorado Maroma about 1 1/2 miles down the beach) September 3-12. We have been traveling to the area for 9 years now and this was the worst year for mosquitos that I have seen. I am a magnet for mosquitos. I always bring, and wear nightly, bug repellant. The past years I have always brought Deep Woods Off (25% deet). This year I thought I would try the Off Smooth and Dry (15% deet) and it did NOT work at all. One night we had a dinner on the beach and I added some of the natural stuff that they had available on top of the Smooth and Dry and still got tons of bites.

For me a higher deet percentage is definitely needed. I will probably bring something even a bit stonger than Deep Woods Off next year since I did get so many this year. It really is a variable thing and I definitely would NOT change resorts as they all will be in a fairly similar situation.

MA
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach

We were there last May and had NO problem with mosquitos. Just like my back deck in Massachusetts in the summer, if you try and hang out after dark, you will need to be prepared or eat inside. I guess that if you can't stand mosquitos, the time of year you go should be a big consideration in you plans to any of the resorts. I know that they fog and I'm not sure there is anything else they can do.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach

We were just at SMB Sept. 13. Sprayed at night before going out and had no problem with skeeters.

7. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2010, 05:17