We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We've been home a week

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
We've been home a week

And I want to go back!!!! Not to the same resort, but just back. After we booked this past trip, I swore we would skip a year and make some improvements on our house.

But now I'm thinking, who needs it? I've been secretly looking at prices the past few days. Shhhh, don't tell the hubster.

I'm going to have to get real clever here on reworking the numbers and then trying to convince hubby to go back in say.....May!

This is such an obsession, a sickness, an addiction. I just can't help myself.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We've been home a week

I definitely think it's a sickness....but a good one! Good for you roostergirl!! I like the way you think. I can't wait to get back there myself....33 days and counting!

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We've been home a week

We left the 27th of last month and I feel just like you... we were planning one more trip (actually around CandyLady's time) but I don't think we are going to pull it off. I wished we had waited now, and just did the November trip but oh well---

RoosterGirl--- I have to ask, "not the same resort"??? Which one and why??

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We've been home a week

We took our 3 kiddos to the Grand Palladium Riviera. In short, the level of service we received was sub par compared to other experiences. For example, one evening we waited for a tram back to our room, after being on only about 2 min, the driver pulled off into another lobby. We presumably thought he was going to pick up other guests...which is typical routine. Once stopped, he rudely told our family of 5 and 3 other couples to get off because this tram was needed for a large group. We did, but thought that someone would radio another driver to pick us up. Other trams came, but only to finish loading up a huge party of about 75 people. After waiting about 15-20 minutes in the heat and being eaten alive by mosquitos, we decided to trek the 15 min back to our room. I thought that was really rude and unprofessional. But, the deal breaker for us were the dirty pools. This is the first in 6 visits to the area where there was black crusty mold on the tiles below the water surface. To me, low occupancy, slow season....whatever, is no excuse for that. Don't get me wrong, there were many things we liked and we had a fantastic time, but we won't be returning.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,828 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We've been home a week

I'm sure it's the color of the water that is so seductive.

You may be ready for one of those condos on the beach in PDC. Teach those kiddos some Spanish and start trolling those PDC restaurants.

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We've been home a week

Sorry to hear that RG--- we probably won't return to Viva Maya either. Great deal, and had a ball, met lots of great people, but there were a few issues for sure... and there are so many other choices.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We've been home a week

It's definitely the water Old traveller (gosh, it feels so disrespectful to call you that). Unless I will the lottery, I won't be buying a condo anytime soon. Hmmm, I guess I'd actually have to play first, huh? lol

WorknTravel~Viva Maya? We've thought about that one too. No good, huh? Have you been to Hotel Marina El Cid? That one looks right up our alley, but seems a little pricey. I may just have to join Jamm at Sandos.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We've been home a week

I meant win not will. Geez, when will I learn to use the new preview button?

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We've been home a week

I think when the current remodeling is completed most of issues will be fixed at Viva Maya. Our issues were building related and I'm sure they are aware and addressing them. I will have to say it was clean, pools and all.

I would say yes to Sandos Playacar for sure. We have stayed there twice and we really enjoyed it. Rooms, service, food, all very good. "Somebody I know" thinks it's very nice too but lacks a bit of "resort feel" "looks like a big hotel". That's why I have never reviewed the resort, I don't know how to explain how much I like it, but... ya' know? I wouldn't want that to sway someone from going there. I am more about the beach, people and food but I understand what she's saying. After we have tried an IB and a RIU I think we'll have a pretty good idea which brand we prefer anyway.

Haven't done El Cid --- we go where we can find the best deal usually. I would like to try all the AI chains to see which one fits our style, taste and budget the best. I will pay more for certain things but at some level most of these AIs are very similar.

I think we are going to try Grand Sunset/Riviera Princess next year... my better half wants a swim-up room, so we will see how that goes.

md
Level Contributor
247 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We've been home a week

We have been back a little over a week also... and I am missing PDC also :( I want to go back asap, but probably won't be able to in reality.

If missing PDC is a sickness, then I have it bad. And yes, I agree that it is the blue water that keeps calling me....

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: We've been home a week

Hi there you are not the only one we started going 7 years ago and have been going back ever since. the last two years my husband said no more trips for a while but this deal came up and I grabed it did a girls trip last year.This year he once again said no but another great deal came up due to the flu scare so I just booked it and said he was going LoL.now hes finally getting excited.He says no to next year for sure but we get a 200.00 credit for another trip after we get back.I guess we will have to fit it in somewhere lol.Have fun you can make it work.