We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cold in February?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cold in February?

Planning a trip in mid february to Riviera Maya. I am expecting mid 80's. Has anyone gone last year in feb? Has anyone stayed at the Sandos Playar hotel and how far is it from the airport?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cold in February?

Here's a link that shows the average monthly temperatures in Playa del Carmen:

weather.com/outlook/…

new brunswick
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cold in February?

We always go Mid-february and it is very hot!!! Last year it averaged 85-88 each day, it was perfect weather!! At night-time it cools off just enough to make it comfortable.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cold in February?

We go most Februarys..... coldest we have seen was about 18C - much warmer than Toronto !!!

The Canadians were wearing shorts & tees, Americans were in pants, and Mexicans were in parkas. It was a 1 or 2 day cold snap, (the first an only one we have encountered in the last ~10 years)

Bring a light jacket or sweater for the evenings, you will be fine.

Sandos Playa is about 30- 40 minutes from the airport

Jersey
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cold in February?

Okay, MissMassey and TinaMac responses are a bit contradictory.

I am planning on going to PDC in late Feb. so I am interested in the responses to this post.

However, there is an extreme difference between 88F degrees and 18C (=64F)..

Responses please...?

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cold in February?

After trips in January and March before, we will usually wait till May. June or later from now on--- the biggest issue for us was the water temps--- I love the ocean in the summer and into this part of the year-- very warm. Our daughter could hardly stand to swim in the pools for very long in January or March.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cold in February?

We've gone in Jan or Feb for the last 10 years. Last year we went for a Wedding Feb.4-8. It was so freaking cold I had my jeans and sweatshirt on the WHOLE time. That was unusually cold. We had a bad combo. of rain, no sun and high wind. Maby in the 70's F.-but with the wind, it was cold. I saw people with their heavy jackets that they had wore on the plane walking around the hotel grounds.

Other yrs. it has always been 75-80 F during the day, sunny. As soon as the sun sets (5pm) you need long pants and long sleeves. Remember, you get much less daylight hours in the winter. 60 F during the evenings.

The pools are usually freezing cold. So I'd def. get a heated pool hotel.

Jan, Feb is the winter for Mexico.

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cold in February?

I missed your question about distance to Sandos Playacar.

It will take at least an hour in a private transfer or cab, a little more if you take the ADO to Playa then a 50 peso ($5) cab ride to the resort in Playacar.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cold in February?

I've always read that to assure yourself of warm weather for travel in the northern hemisphere in the winter months, you need to get further south than 17 degrees latitude. My condo on Ambergris Caye, Belize is about 17.2 and Belize is about six hours or so south of Cancun by bus.

So, if you really want guaranteed warm, head further south. Look at Panama or Grenada or St. Kitts, or even Colombia. There are certainly others as well, those are the ones I've been to in January and been much warmer than my January trips to Cancun or Playa.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cold in February?

We go to Playa every year late January into February. I've never had to wear a jacket. It's always been VERY warm and water temps have been great, although I don't use the pools, just the ocean. The only difference I've experienced in the winter months is that the humidity is lower (and much more tolerable) than going during the summer. Temps stay about the same all year long. Feb. is a great time to go to Playa!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,150 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cold in February?

Of our 3 trips during Feb, two were downright cold and one was nice and hot. It is weather, it's unpredictable. Like someone else mentioned, water temp can be an issue. On those cold Feb trips, getting in the pool or staying in was almost imposible. One of our days it was nice and sunny, but never reached 70. That is very odd, tho. Just bring pants and some sweaters in case.