We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK hotel sites - cheaper for rooms than US sites?

New England
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
UK hotel sites - cheaper for rooms than US sites?

I am interested in booking a resort for June of next year. I looked at all the popular US engines and came up with a consistent price on almost all of them. Just for kicks I then checked a UK based site and the price is almost $30 per night lower. Furthermore I would only have to pay a 20% deposit until March of 2010. Why? Is there a catch?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK hotel sites - cheaper for rooms than US sites?

"is there a catch"

You'd have to check the fine print and/or give them a call. Maybe it's a geniunely good deal or maybe travel has to originate from the UK or something equally odd.

FWIW, on Expedia.ca (that's "ca", the Canadian version), it's MUCH cheaper to book "flight + hotel". When I look at the resort I'm interested in and do "hotel only" it's essentially coming to the same price as "flight + hotel".

Good luck - I know that wading through all the options can be a bit gruelling and, if you're like me, you still second guess yourself and wonder if you've missed the one site that had your hotel cheaper!

New England
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK hotel sites - cheaper for rooms than US sites?

I read the fine print and cannot see a catch. I also took a look at some hotels in the Dominican Republic with similar results.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK hotel sites - cheaper for rooms than US sites?

I've noticed that the UK sites are cheaper too. Not sure why. I booked with hotels4u.com for Secrets Maroma in June of next year and they were over $1000 cheaper for the week than any other US site I checked. Maybe it's because the Mexican resorts work out better deals with UK sites to get more Brits to come to Mexico??? I couldn't find any catches either and there were a couple of UK sites I looked at with similar rates. I guess I'll find out in June if it's too good to be true.

England
Level Contributor
474 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK hotel sites - cheaper for rooms than US sites?

Lol I've booked 3 of my hotels direct or with Cheap caribbean because it was cheaper than booking with our UK companies :)

5. Re: UK hotel sites - cheaper for rooms than US sites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2010, 06:17