We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Cancun, What is a must do in Cancun, Anything?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
988 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Cancun, What is a must do in Cancun, Anything?

Hi everyone were going to the Valentin in April wanted to do a day trip to Cancun. What bars shops or just plain ole things to experience in Cancun would you recommend. Places in one area to save on cab fare would be great!

Cheers, Cinn

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Cancun, What is a must do in Cancun, Anything?

Honestly you'll have more fun in Playa del Carmen than Cancun. In Playa del Carmen you can walk everywhere. In Cancun you have to drive or take the bus to different places in the hotel zone. Beaches are great in Playa also. There are beach bars like Bad Boys, Fusion and Zenzi. Lots of restaurants, shops and bars along 5th Ave (the main pedestrian walkway).

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
988 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Cancun, What is a must do in Cancun, Anything?

Do they hound you to buy things in Playa? I have experienced it many times before so i'm used to it, was just wondering if you could walk and enjoy yourself. You can't just walk around in Cancun and experience it. This is why i hate being new to some place i don't know what it's like., But i like to experience new things also.

3. Re: First Time to Cancun, What is a must do in Cancun, Anything?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 13:48
Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to Cancun, What is a must do in Cancun, Anything?

Cancun (Miami-south) , Playa del Carmen (unique).

Playa is also closer so the travel cost is a lot less. If you get a chance maybe make it to Pto. Morelos, small fishing village with lots of really good restaurants.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
988 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to Cancun, What is a must do in Cancun, Anything?

Fifth Ave sounds like a good experience. I'm sure one trip to the Riveria just won't do it so i guess whatever i don't see this time i have to book again so i can see it all. :) Twist my arm.

Cinn

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to Cancun, What is a must do in Cancun, Anything?

Playa del Carmen is a pedestrian city. Quite a few streets are pedestrian only. The beach has quite a few walkers as well.

The shopkeepers along 5th avenue between the ferry dock and 4 calle can be a little obnoxious. Then there is a shop on the southeast corner of 5th Ave and Constituyentes that also do their best to ruin your day. 5th Ave is kinda of nice because it's so wide, so CW's advice is spot on, down the center. Most of the other shops are pretty laid back, but those few aggressive one's set the tone.

Check out Detalle's on 1st ave and 14 calle. Great pottery and talverna, and these folks are so laid back.

There is a shop near the beach on Jaurez Ave, maybe 200 ft from the beach, white building, overlooking the park in front of the church, directly across from Burger King across the park. It has no name, it's a city tax thing. A lot of shops don't have names. They specialize in Mexican and Central & South American masks. It's known as the house of masks. The owner has a lot of inside knowledge. They may spend more time collecting masks then selling them :-)

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to Cancun, What is a must do in Cancun, Anything?

Must do's in Cancun? Keep low in the crossfire ;-)

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time to Cancun, What is a must do in Cancun, Anything?

The vendors on the streets don't really bother me at all....sometimes they're downright funny in what they say to try to get you into their shops. They aren't as aggressive as Cancun IMO. If you don't acknowledge them they leave you alone. Also, if you walk 5th Ave enough, they begin to recognize you and leave you alone completely.

New Jersey, near...
Level Contributor
323 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time to Cancun, What is a must do in Cancun, Anything?

The hotel zone in Cancun has big beautiful hotels along the only road. When you leave your hotel there is not too much near the hotel, a shop or restaurant here or there. There is a golf course centrally located in the hotel zone. There are small buses that go up and down this road. At the north end of the hotel zone there is the convention hall, a small museum, shops, restaurants & bars. I describe Cancun as nice hotels located in Mexico however for a true Mexican experience we love Playa del Carmen. Enjoy your trip, Chuck

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
988 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time to Cancun, What is a must do in Cancun, Anything?

Thank you all for your responses i can't wait to see this area and see what it has to offer. Definitely looking forward to the Valentin. :)