We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar quetzal or Barcelo Colonial with kids

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barre Mills...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Iberostar quetzal or Barcelo Colonial with kids

Going in December with two girls 9 & 11. Which would be better for beach( very important !), food activites ect.??? Any input would be great!!!

connecticut
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar quetzal or Barcelo Colonial with kids

I booked the Iberostar for December for my family, kids 10 and 11 based on info on this site. I hope the advise is good!!!

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar quetzal or Barcelo Colonial with kids

I haven't been to the Barcelo, but it's my understanding that the beach is beautiful and a little more calm than in Playacar. The Barcelo doesn't have palapas for shade on their beach, just some palms...if that's a must for you. The section you book at the Barcelo will determine what ammenities are available to you. For example the 2 lowest sections (Maya and Caribe, I think) do not have access to the other ala cartes. We just returned from the Grand Palladium and it was WAY too large for us, traveling with a 3, 4 and 9 year old.

Last fall, we visited the IB* Quetzal with our 2 oldest kids and it was wonderful. Beach on some days was a little rough, but overall was great, even with the sandbags. The only complaint we had regarding this resort were the drinks. Everything else was great. When we were just at the GP, my kids kept asking "can we go to the better resort, the one with the monkeys?" LOL...too bad they don't allow 5 in a room:(

Barre Mills...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar quetzal or Barcelo Colonial with kids

Thanks roostergirl.We are booked Dec. 11-19 for the Quetzal. Just a little nervous because those dates coincide with the dates of the beach restoration in playacar. We stayed at the Sandos next door two years ago and so we are familiar with the area and really liked it. First time for the kids to Playa and want to give them the best time. Quetzal does sound like the way to go!

connecticut
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar quetzal or Barcelo Colonial with kids

We will look for you there. We are arriving on the 16th!

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,772 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar quetzal or Barcelo Colonial with kids

Don't worry about the beach restoration, remember you'll be in Mexico. If it does happen then "they're" saying each resort will take only one day. And it will be very interesting to watch. We were at the Riu Palace Mexico when they were restoring the various resort beaches in Dec, 2007 and it was fun to watch them pumping the sand in. And then they were using only about 6 inch hoses whereas this time it's reported they'll be using 18 inchers. We'll be at the RPM again this year first two weeks of Dec and maybe we'll see it.

Barre Mills...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar quetzal or Barcelo Colonial with kids

Connecticut, Sounds great! You will love it there, we missed our kids so much last time ( stayed next door) that we had to bring them back ASAP! Just getting a little nervous about the beach restoration. I think we are going to just play the odds and not worry about it! Say hello when you arrive we have two daughters .. they can't wait! ( us too) Thanks for the input!

Barre Mills...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar quetzal or Barcelo Colonial with kids

Thanks BCBob, You're right I'm not going to let that deter us.we really like playacar and are going to stick with it! Happy Travels!!!

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar quetzal or Barcelo Colonial with kids

We stayed at the Tucan 4 years ago when our kids were 10 and 8 and they loved it. In fact, all of us loved it so much that we're booked to go back Dec 18-25 and are bringing my huband's sisters and their families as well. We can't wait!

connecticut
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar quetzal or Barcelo Colonial with kids

mabye we could get trip advisor tees to recognize each other!! LOL!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar quetzal or Barcelo Colonial with kids

hi everyone so glad this was posted. We have been to Iberostar DEl Mar twice....loved loved it! Thought this year we would try Tucan because they are so similar.....sounds like it is great also!

Can anyone tell me what area the Star Friends activities are poolside....we love sitting near by to watch the games....

Also.....sounds like the swim up bar is tucked away.....is this an issue......is it easy to get drinks?

Goldie