We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Son would rather go to Disney World than the beach

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
625 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Son would rather go to Disney World than the beach

My 6 year old has already put in a request for a return trip to Disney World instead of the beach. We took him and his sister to both this year. He said he prefers the fun pools in Disney. LOL - here I am dreaming of sun, sand and snorkeling, and he wants to go to the land of long lines, fast food, and noise. Oh well, he is 6 after all.

Are there any resorts with "fun pools" like those in Disney - well-themed, slides, etc. in the PdC or Riviera Maya area? I was getting all excited about Sandos Playacar and he puts his 2 cents in. Kids and their opinions. LOL.

Those of you who are moms of little ones, any suggestions as to how to go about resolving this dilemma? We will only be taking one family vacay next year as we have some home projects to do. Where or where shall we go to please everyone?

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Son would rather go to Disney World than the beach

For resorts with water parks, try Hotel Marina El Cid, Crown Paradise Club, Barcelo Colonial.

If I may put my 2 cents in: When we stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal last fall, I was sort of concerned that one of us (adults vs. kids) would get the short end of the stick. But, this resort is set up to where the pool is just steps away from the beach. In fact, we always sat in the back row loungers so that we could watch our kids play in the pool, but still keep our toes in the sand. The Star Friends do all kinds of entertainment on that side of the pool and my kids had a blast watching and participating.

They also really enjoyed the jungle scene with all of the wildlife everywhere...particularly the monkeys.

It's certainly your decision, but I would go where you ALL will have fun.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Son would rather go to Disney World than the beach

Iberostar Lindo/Maya. A lazy river and a wave pool.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Son would rather go to Disney World than the beach

Iberostar Lindo/Maya : has a lazy river ya float around in inner tubes, and a big wave pool with zero entry like walking into the ocean. It only makes waves about 10-15 mins every hour though.

Barcelo Caribe has a kids pool w/slides.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Son would rather go to Disney World than the beach

Aside from the resorts, there are themed parks that will please every one. Xcaret is a zoo, park, swimming/snorkeling/snuba-ing type of park near Playa Del Carmen. Xhel-Ha is similar except more water based.

Then there are Crococun, the Monkey Place and numerous smaller attractions. If you use the search box you'll get lots of information on these.

md
Level Contributor
247 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Son would rather go to Disney World than the beach

Well in all honesty, from a 6 year olds perspective, Disney is a lot more fun!! Playa is great, but it does not have Mickey Mouse! Actually, I love WDW also... and so do my kids and they are young adults!

Anyway, the places already mentioned are probably your best bets. BTW, I live just outside Baltimore too!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Son would rather go to Disney World than the beach

Sorry-It's the Jungle Place not the Monkey Place.

(thanks to OldTraveller3 see the below link)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k24000…

md
Level Contributor
247 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Son would rather go to Disney World than the beach

Well in all honesty, from a 6 year olds perspective, Disney is a lot more fun!! Playa is great, but it does not have Mickey Mouse! Actually, I love WDW also... and so do my kids and they are young adults!

Anyway, the places already mentioned are probably your best bets. BTW, I live just outside Baltimore too!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,602 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Son would rather go to Disney World than the beach

Why not opt for the Disney cruise? That way you get your beach and he gets his Disney fix.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Son would rather go to Disney World than the beach

Just thought I'd put this out there...not meant as a lecture or judgement, just a giggle.

I have a plaque in my kitchen that say "Because I"M the Mom, That's Why"

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Son would rather go to Disney World than the beach

IMO, if you want a beach, there is no beach on a Cruise ship. Only a little teeny crowded swimming pool. So, a cruise is a good idea, but it is not a compromise for someone who wants to lay on the beach.

he, he, my plaque says "I kiss better than I cook".