We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Playacar or Iberostar Quetzal

MJGrand1
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Riu Playacar or Iberostar Quetzal

Planning a group trip first part of January for about 10 people, ages mid 30's to 40-ish. Would like to stay somewhere with easy access to town, (I know both are about a 5-minute cab ride into town), nice beach, good food, good pool with swim-up bar. Would welcome your opinions please on Riu Playacar versus Iberostar Quetzal. Many thanks for your input.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Playacar or Iberostar Quetzal

I've stayed at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal and really enjoyed it. Iberostar is known for it's consistent, quality service. Very nice resort, awesome pool and jungle ambiance, and probably a better beach front than the RIU Yucatan. Bar service available at the pool and beach. There is a swim-up bar, but it's not attached to the main pool. It's tucked away and looks kinda like a cave almost. Overall, we liked it so much that we're returning there this Christmas with a group of 11. Can't comment on the Yucatan- never stayed there.

Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Playacar or Iberostar Quetzal

We've stayed at both - the Riu once and the Iberostar Quetzal

seven times and going back next week. Does this answer your

question?

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Playacar or Iberostar Quetzal

Stayed at both. In fact just got back this week from the Quetzal. I liked them both. We had kids with us this time and we would definitely give the IB the advantage with kids. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Beach is a little deeper at IB now. Plus you have the option to get an oceanfront room there. Also, I assume RIU still has that weird bed set up(two beds pushed together which always leaves a crack in the middle and may not be what you want if you are going with friends not spouses). Rius do have the swim up bars in the main pools and IBs is off on in another secluded smaller pool. However the IB main is considerably larger and nicer in my opinion. If price was equal I would have to say Quetzal is the better of the two, but at the right price I would definitely go back to the RIU.

MJGrand1
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Playacar or Iberostar Quetzal

Thanks everyone for your input!

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Playacar or Iberostar Quetzal

I am pretty sure that the Rius and the Iberostar Quetzal are right next to each other. The beachfront would be pretty much the same if that is the case.

Courtice, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Playacar or Iberostar Quetzal

I have stayed at both and like certain features at each. I prefer the buffet food at RIU but their Speciality restaurants aren't the greatest. The Iberostar has nice restaurants that you can book and more variety. I have to say if I wasn't booking on price I would pick the Iberostar for the grounds alone.

7. Re: Riu Playacar or Iberostar Quetzal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 05:20