We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Breakers at Riu Hotels

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Spring Breakers at Riu Hotels

As my holidays fall during the idiot sorry Spring Break period are the Riu hotels overrun by Spring Breakers????Namely the Yucatan or the Palace Mexico

Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Breakers at Riu Hotels

I sent my son and his girlfriend last year during spring break as an early graduation present. They stayed at the Yucatan - They said there were NOT many spring breakers at all.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Breakers at Riu Hotels

The Riu chain has a policy against spring breakers. If you stay at the Riu Palace Mexico I would not worry since the price keeps the spring breakers away. It is a great resort.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Breakers at Riu Hotels

All depends upon time of year as Spring Break can run from Feb to April and how many are there at any particular time. They do tend to feed off each other. :-) Last year or year before there were some problems at the Yucatan and also I've heard of it at the Riu Palace Mexico. It would be less likely at the RPM though. But none of them are overrun.

vancouver
Level Contributor
603 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Breakers at Riu Hotels

We were at the Tequila for the first two weeks in March last year. The first week was fine but the second week was the spring break for the Canadian children (not college kids). The children were no problem, but the line-ups at the buffet were HUGE. It was super busy. The Riu's are a family hotel and are very popular with Canadians. We are trying to stay away from this next year. When you want to holiday with your children then you have no choice.

Cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Breakers at Riu Hotels

It should be fun anyway. My husband and I just booked at the Riu Tequila March 5th - 11th....wohooo

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Breakers at Riu Hotels

We dont mind people enjoying themselves thats what holidays are for but we have seen horror stories on the net with the i----s who spoil it for everyone.

Cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Breakers at Riu Hotels

Haha yeah I know...isn't that the truth though!! We went on a 4 night cruise once over Spring Break and good lord.... there were 18/19 year olds drunker than drunk banging on doors and coming to dinner then getting kicked out of dinner. I think someone actually got kicked off the boat.

I mean I know when I was going on spring break in college (we drove to Panama City from Ohio), I didn't have a ton of money so I would think more spring breakers are probably going to be in Cancun.... :) Can't wait... we leave March 5th!!!!!!

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring Breakers at Riu Hotels

You can run into jerks anywhere. Cancun, not PDC, is the place to go for college spring break. I don't think you'll have problems. Especially not enough to ruin your vaca.

Here's a somewhat relevant story from personal experience:

Went to Riu Tropical Bay in Negril Jamaica in 2006. I was in grad school at the time and went during spring break, with my boyfriend and another couple.

Now, Negril IS a hot spot for college students on spring break.... second only to Cancun I think :) Anyway, we ran into only one small group of college students at the resort. They were more like 21 or 22 (rather than 18 or 19) and didn't do anything crazy that we saw . . .

Lots of spring break type action outside the resort though. Just thought I'd share this story, for what its worth, to give you an idea about Riu generally.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
604 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring Breakers at Riu Hotels

We stayed at the Riu Palace in March 06 and it was lovely apart from a few very inconsiderate spring breakers. On a couple of occassions they were swimming in the pool and shouting at 3 am in the morning which woke us up - but one call to reception and they were dealt with.

They did also throw some spring breakers out as we saw them being packed off with their cases with the security making sure they left.

The other problem was the 'kids' used to come over to the Palace from the Tequila and turn their blue wristbands over to the inside which was white and looked like the cream Palace bands. The security was very good at spotting this too.

10. Re: Spring Breakers at Riu Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2010, 05:18