We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PDC beach recuperation now delayed until January 2010

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
Save Topic
PDC beach recuperation now delayed until January 2010

Well, the same mayor who announced only a week ago that the Playa portion of the region's big beach recuperation project was to begin this past Monday, just prior to Thanksgiving, in Playacar (that as reported over on this thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k32273…

last week) has now announced that the start of the project will be delayed until January. Reports (in Spanish) like the one here

www.diariorespuesta.com.mx/online3/index.php…

give reasons for the delay ranging from the protests of some who represent Cozumel interests (since that's where the sand in question apparently originates), to PDC properties with illegitimate structures in the water dragging their feet on the necessary removal of those so that the project can begin, to even the passing of Ida, which it is said led to the need to return some of the equipment to Veracruz.

Welcome to Mexico. :-)

Steve

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PDC beach recuperation now delayed until January 2010

Steve, that is exactly why asking when they will be at any given hotel is pointless. They get to Point A when they get there and are finished when they are finished.

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: PDC beach recuperation now delayed until January 2010

Yep.

What would any big construction-type project in Mexico be without significant and repeated delays? :-D

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PDC beach recuperation now delayed until January 2010

Hi T"hanks very much for the update.....goldie

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PDC beach recuperation now delayed until January 2010

Thanks for the update, we are coming in February, but as long as I have sun, sand, and sea I don't care about anything else!

wilmington nc
Level Contributor
915 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PDC beach recuperation now delayed until January 2010

What will that do to the water quality.........will it be all churned up? Here in North Carolina, i have experienced one beach renourishment and the beach had many dead fish washed on shore.... and the water was very cloudy for a good week or so.....not sure how it is done in Mexico , any ideas??

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: PDC beach recuperation now delayed until January 2010

Sorry, I don't know on that water quality question, myself. Hadn't seen that post before, actually, but it may be a good opportunity to bump this thread, anyway, given people's questions. :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PDC beach recuperation now delayed until January 2010

One of the big problems, and on this I side with Cozumel, it that the area they plan of taking the sand from is important to remain where it is for a couple of reasons:

1. There are lots of sea life in the area, especially conch etc who bury themsleves in the sand for protection. They will be killed doing this

2. The area is important for the protection of the island from hurricanes, most likely in the form of storm surge or waves.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PDC beach recuperation now delayed until January 2010

Neil,

Kind of makes the thought of a "spoiled" view seem rather insignificant.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PDC beach recuperation now delayed until January 2010

Neil,

If you help the residents in Cozumel post the $10 million usd bond with the Mexican Courts you can delay the project. However, that deadline may have passed. The Mexican government wants those beaches restored. I just hope they have a good plan for keeping the sand in place. Mother Nature is a pretty tough cookie.

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: PDC beach recuperation now delayed until January 2010

That deadline had in fact already passed, actually, before the announcement that work would begin the Monday before Thanksgiving, which was the announcement I posted about prior to this one about yet another delay. :-)

Indeed, that was given as at least one of the reasons, if not the key reason, why work was then going to proceed right away.

On the second point, I don't know -- I'm not an expert on this or anything -- but generally it is not sand but rather the steep continental shelf that protects this area from storm surges. I've posted this link before

wunderground.com/hurricane/…GulfofMexico.jpg

to a great image showing that, and you can click on

wunderground.com/blog/…

to go to the whole blog entry from Dr Jeff Masters that discusses it and other such things.

So as hard as it is to imagine how much sand they're going to dredge up, and even if in fact they plan to dredge it up from the eastern (= hurricane-ward) side of the island, it's much harder for me, at least, to imagine that even all that sand would be so powerful a factor against a storm surge. Indeed, the point seems to be that the _more_ sand (or whatever else) you have leading up to your doorstep, the more in danger you are of suffering from such a surge, while the _less_ you have (the steeper the climb for the surge, in order to get to you), the lower the danger.

FWIW!

The image is very cool to look at, anyway. :-)

Steve