We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayan Palace Transportation question

South Carolina
9 posts
Save Topic
Mayan Palace Transportation question

We're going to Mayan Palace in early Feb. and were considering using the resort provided airport transfer transportation from Cancun Airport to the resort ($15 USD/pp each way). Has anyone on the forum used this service? Is it worth the cost or is there a better way to get from CUN to Mayan Palace? Waiting a long time for buses or walking any great distance is not an option. From reading various forums, a taxi isn't the best (least expensive) way to get there, not sure yet if we're going to rent a car at the airport or not. Is another transportation company better/less expensive than that provided by the resort? Thanks in advance for any help.

calgary,ab
Level Contributor
183 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayan Palace Transportation question

Steamboat, I would take a taxi from the airport to the Mayan Palace (MP). It should only cost about $15 USD. MP isn't too far from the airport (10 min's maybe). Negotiate with the driver before you or your luggage are in the cab. E-mail the MP, ask the approx cost so you have an approx. cost.

South Carolina
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayan Palace Transportation question

Thanks for the response. I e-mailed Mayan Palace several questions and on this subject all I got back was to let them know 2 days in advance what time and flights and they'd supply transportation at $15 USD/PP each way (shuttle bus with room for 10 passengers) - no other option offered or discussed by them. I e-mailed the resort concierge services like their web site suggests to get them to pre-assign us a ground floor unit (only stairs to upper floor units) due to arthritis issues and artificial hip but all I got for an answer was to call 2 days in advance to talk with reservations at the resort.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,042 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayan Palace Transportation question

I think $15 is reasonable. Cabs are regulated from the airport and you will pay much more than $15 each.

Save Reply
4. Re: Mayan Palace Transportation question

I used cancunvalet.com. $105/RT or $55 OW. On time and fine. Private van held 8 or more.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayan Palace Transportation question

Steamboat....sounds like the shuttle is your best bet. They will have room for your luggage....most taxis don't. They are very, very small........kind of like a "Spec" LOL.

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayan Palace Transportation question

My family of four had the exact concern when we went there in late Oct. The MP resort provided shuttle was in fact $15/person each way. Because there were four of us, a taxi was not practical because of the luggage issue. It is about a 20 min. trip from Cancun airport to MP. We arranged with the MP two days in advance as they suggested and had no problems either direction. I'm sure a taxi would probably be slightly quicker, but probably not much cheaper, if not more expensive.

Once we were at the MP we used the highway shuttles for $1 US each way to PDC. Often, because of having the four of us, we negotiated a taxi to PDC for $5-8, but had to pay $13-18 from PDC to MP. The shuttles are quite convenient and inexpensive, but you do have to cross a busy highway across from the MP to board the shuttle.

Enjoy your trip...I catch myself reminiscing quite often and can't wait to go back!!

South Carolina
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayan Palace Transportation question

Did the Mayan Palace shuttle go to any other resorts or was it just for Mayan Palace visitors (wife is worried that we'll be stopping frequently on the way to MP to let others off the shuttle)? I guess I'm asking if they put you on a Resort Shuttle or do they contract with one of the other shuttle services to get you from the airport to the resort?

Saginaw, Michigan
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mayan Palace Transportation question

we also will be at MP, this week tho.

we want to use the busses to go to Playa del Carmen and Cancun or snorkeling. I think I have it all figured out except for how to get from the road to the rooms and room to road.

especially if we take bus from airport with luggage in tow. I am guessing the let you off at the road entrance not the lobby.

South Carolina
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mayan Palace Transportation question

From what I have read here and other forums, the only shuttle the resort operates is a shuttle from the parking area/road area to the main lobby area (aproximately 1/4 to 1/2 mile away, may be off on distance but looking at an arial view of the resort, it's set a good ways from the main road). I've worried about having to lug groceries from the road to the shuttle to the room, thought we had it figured out by ordering groceries delivered via Tropical Groceries (see mapchick.com web links for their web address) but MP will not let them deliver to the resort since they offer All Inclusive as part of their program. Oh well, back to the grocery store idea for us.

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mayan Palace Transportation question

The MP has a "contracted" shuttle with a local carrier that will take you from the Cancun Airport to MP and back for $15 PP each way. They will take you right to the MP check in entrance, they will not drop you off at the highway entrance as it is about a 1/2 mile distance.

The MP has a "courtesy" shuttle that will take you to the highway entrance if you want to catch the "Riviera May Public Shuttle" to Cancun or PDC area or points in between for about $1 PP. On your return trip back to the MP using this shuttle they will only drop you off at the MP highway entrance. Then you simply have the MP entrance security dispatch for the MP courtesy shuttle to take you in to the lobby area. You'll have no problems doing this. Of course any taxi from Cancun or PDC will be able to take you in direct to the MP front lobby...but is quite more expensive than the shuttle!! If you feel more comfortable getting around in the area via taxi, the MP bus boys will arrange for a taxi to pick you up right there without having to be shuttled to the highway to catch one.

Hope this helps!!