We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

signature vacations .. bait and switch?

okanagan canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
signature vacations .. bait and switch?

booked package last month for feb flight and a/i.. flights were perfect no early craziness . now.. we leave Kelowna at 1:am on the way down an must be in Cancun for an 830 am flight which Iam guessing gets us out the door from PDC at about 5:00 am . Talked to travel agent and the response was to bad so sad.sole discretion of signature vacation... anybody else hear of this kind of garbage... not a great way to start what should be a fantastic trip... must stay focused.. fun... sun... sand... drinks... I am sure the staff at Gran porto real will make all the problems just go away

thanks for letting me vent

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: signature vacations .. bait and switch?

You are not alone. Unless you can cancel and get the same package with another company with better flight times, you may just have to accept it.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: signature vacations .. bait and switch?

yup that is just it. TOO BAD SO SAD!!!! i don't know how they can get away with it! People book with those companies b/c of flight times,. etc and i think it's unethical to be able to do that. Why book with them if they can do a HUGE flight time change like that, you would of booked with another tour comapany then! I had that happen to me once and we lost 2 days of our seven day holiday... the same thing happened. They changed our flight time arriving after midnight and on the way home same thing, flight at 8am! The only way was to either extend your holiday to 2 weeks if you could of cancel if you wanted. nice options hey!

okanagan canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: signature vacations .. bait and switch?

I was wondering if this was a problem for other travelers .Next time we will probably book a direct flight(westjet) and book the A/I on line ...we have no option to cancel... money,s way to tight to just walk away.. could only afford this with my yearly cheque from volunteer firefighting in our town.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: signature vacations .. bait and switch?

hate to tell you but signature does offer a insurance to cancel for any reason at all.... you can even cancel b/c a different resort went cheaper and want to switch, etc.

i know many who are going to the dominican and their flights are changing too, not all with signature either...

Armstrong, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: signature vacations .. bait and switch?

We too have been in the same boat. Kelowna to Cancun with Sunquest Tours staying at the Grand Occidental Xcaret for 2 weeks starting 16 Jan. Original flights that we booked were really decent, middle of the day times. I have received 3 Itinerary updates from AirMiles (my booking travel agent). At one point we were not even flying direct and were having to stop in Calgary both down and back with red-eyes both ways.

Canjet is the charter company that is flying out of Kelowna this winter and the cause of all the flight changes. I intend to let Sunquest know that their choice of charter airlines is definitely going to effect my choice of Tour companies come next winter.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
okanagan canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: signature vacations .. bait and switch?

the only insurance we were offered at that time was $450 per ticket $1800total If i would of had any idea that these kind of practices were common i would not have used these carriers.the flight portion of the travel is with canjet

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: signature vacations .. bait and switch?

Add my voice to the "Too Bad, So Sad" chorus.

That's just the nature of charter travel (it's all in their fine print btw) and the risk I'm willing to take for some amazingly well priced vacation deals.

Air Canada Vacations and WestJet Vacations do reserve the right to make itinerary changes, so booking with them is no guarantee either unless you fly on one of their regular, scheduled flights (often at a higher cost!).

On the bright side, at least your vacation destination wasn't outright cancelled a few weeks before departure. This has happened to us a few times over the years but with other wholesalers, not Signature (knock on wood!!)

Edited: 08 December 2009, 01:54
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: signature vacations .. bait and switch?

signature does offer a care free cancellation for 50-60 bucks p.p.

okanagan canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: signature vacations .. bait and switch?

thanks lin 6704 i see that is available on sigs web site unfortunately it was never offered at our travel agent... at least at that rate. buyer beware i guess.. happy holidays:):):)

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
985 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: signature vacations .. bait and switch?

I would also be very suprised if they dont pick you up for your return flight even earlier that 05:00am. We travelled with Air Transat last in January, but once again with Canjet as a carrier and they picked us up four hours before our flight time. There should be some type of recourse for travellers who book trips taking flight times into consideration. In any other industry it would be considered not getting what you paid for and the consumer would have some rights! Apparently the charter companies and the airline carriers they use dont care how their choices affect people. You would think with the economy in its current state, that the travel industry would be going out of its way to please people and lure customers back, not make them angry and upset.

Edited: 08 December 2009, 09:20