We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks...same resot or split it up?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harrisbug, PA
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 weeks...same resot or split it up?

Husband wants to spend 2 weeks at the Gran Bahia Principe resorts. We have been there before and loved it but it is sooo far from everything. For those that do 2 weeks.....do you get sick of the food ?? Do you think splitting it up is a good idea? I was thinking one week ai one non-ai. Maybe week 2 moving closer to Cancun, thus cutting down on travel time back to the airport. Any suggestions?

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks...same resot or split it up?

2 weeks at an AI is long time...so many great restaurants in Playa..my vote would be split it up

Cancun
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks...same resot or split it up?

I agree. I would do the first week at the AI, take the time to relax and just bum around. Then do the 2nd week at a boutique hotel in Playa del Carmen, one that is with in walking distance to 5th Avenue

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks...same resot or split it up?

We go every year to Cancun in April for 2 weeks. We spend 1 week at the Royal Haciendas in Playa and the next week at the Royal Sands in Cancun. It's like 2 different vacations. Hacienda's is more on the beach and relax. Cancun we do a few trips.

For me I wouldn't do 2 weeks at one resort.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks...same resot or split it up?

We have done two 2-week vacations like this, one in Ixtapa/Zihua and one was in the Manzanillo are, and they both great vacations!

Both times we did the first week at an AI resort and the second week at a non AI hotel or condo. It really was like two vacations in one. Two weeks at the same AI gets very boring, same shows, same buffet. same scenery, etc.

CT
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks...same resot or split it up?

Definately split it up!!!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks...same resot or split it up?

I would absolutely split it up!!! 2 weeks is way to long to be at at AI in my opinion!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
7,961 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks...same resot or split it up?

For that long, I'd probably stay in a condo. Or maybe a condo for most of the time, and the last few days at a luxury resort like the Ritz in Cancun or maybe Mayakoba or the Grand Velas Riviera Maya.

Lots of great condos in Playa.

Alaska
Level Contributor
301 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks...same resot or split it up?

Oh, you are a smart lady. Absolutely, split the trip up just like you want. We are doing the same thing during a smaller time frame: 8-9 nights, first 4 nights at an AI and leave before we get bored for non-AI boutique hotel to get a totally different experience. We did 9 nights last year at the same resort and got SO BORED with the same food, atmosphere. Split your trip, be spontaneous, wing it and have a great time!

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks...same resot or split it up?

We do 2 weeks at the AI and have never gotten bored, any that we have stayed at are on a 2 week cycle so don't see the same shows etc. We also like to go out for the occaisional dinner, and plan on going to Bad Boys every Thursday and Saturday evenings. There is no way I would want to pack up and move after one week.

10. Re: 2 weeks...same resot or split it up?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2010, 06:17