We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Resorts in Playa Del Carmen?

MN
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
RIU Resorts in Playa Del Carmen?

HI-

Can someone recomend on of the RIU's in Playa Del Carmen. We are traveling there on 1/7 for 6 nights to celebrate my wifes 40th B-Day. She has chosen RIU now we need to pick one between RIU Palace, Yucatan, Playacar, Palace Mayan Riveria, and Tequilla.

Thanks for your help.

MA
Level Contributor
501 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU Resorts in Playa Del Carmen?

In my opinion these are the Riu's I would pick in order:

Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Riu Palace Mexico

Riu Yucatan

Riu Playacar

Riu Tequila

Riu Lupita

If you stay at a Riu Palace you can use the other Riu's. If you book a regular Riu you cannot use a Riu Palace. In my opinion there is quite a difference between Riu Palace Riviera Maya & Riu Palace Mexico.

MA
Level Contributor
501 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU Resorts in Playa Del Carmen?

In order what I would pick:

Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Riu Palace Mexico

Riu Yucatan

Riu Playacar

Riu Tequila

Riu Lupita

If you stay at a Riu Palace you can use the other Riu's. If you book a regular Riu you cannot use a Riu Palace. In my opinion there is quite a difference between Riu Palace Riviera Maya & Riu Palace Mexico.

duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU Resorts in Playa Del Carmen?

the palace hotels are more expensive and you get more. i have stayed at Playacar twice and enjoyed it. the Tequila is not on the beach. all are very nice resorts.

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: RIU Resorts in Playa Del Carmen?

I'd pick in this order...

Riu Palace Mexico (stayed there)

Riu Yucatan (played there)

Riu Tequila is not on the beach, but a fun resort.

Riu Palace Riviera Maya & Riu Playacar have "iffy" (read, sometimes non-existant) beaches.

Personally, I'd go farther south (Xpu Ha or Kantenah) as the beaches are MUCH, MUCH better, and none of the "sand whales".

V'Crawlers

MN
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: RIU Resorts in Playa Del Carmen?

The RUI Palace and RUI Palace MR are pretty much the same price. They are both about $300-400 more for the trip vs. the Yucatan. Is it worth it? We will spend most of our time on the beach (wandering the beaches) or at the pool or wandering 5th ave.

Thanks for your help.

MN
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RIU Resorts in Playa Del Carmen?

Thanks - the comments I have read so far say Riu Palace. Do you think it is worth the extra $400 for a 5 night stay vs. the Yucatan?

MA
Level Contributor
501 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RIU Resorts in Playa Del Carmen?

Riu Palace Riviera maya has a great beach...

Poster who said they read they did not must've been from older reviews before the beach restoration.

I think the $400 for that length of stay is definitely worth it! More upscale property, room service.... I've been to all of them and find a big difference. Even a difference between RPRM and Riu palace mexico.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RIU Resorts in Playa Del Carmen?

I would pick in order:

Riu Pal Mexico- love their palm tree beach- been here 3X'

Riu Pal. RIv. Maya- really nice pool complex- been here 1X

Riu Playacar- because it is smaller, more compact property.

Riu Yucatan-

Riu Tequila- last, because not on the beach.

And, if you go in the summer, the Palaces are the only ones with Air conditioned bufferts and air conditioned common areas.

Palaces are the only ones with elevators- if that matters to you.

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: RIU Resorts in Playa Del Carmen?

When we were at RPM in 2008, the only real beach was in front of the Riu Yucatan, but things change - hopefully for the better!!!

While we enjoyed the food and amenities at Riu Palace Mexico, we tended to play more at the Riu Yucatan - and sometimes at Riu Tequila in the evening - as the clientele at RPM was considerably older and more sedate. Even though we're in our late 40's, we felt as if we were hanging out wirh our parent's generation - especially in the evening after dinner or down on the "Palace Only" section of the beach.

Riu Yucatan was much more fun - especially around the pool and beach areas. Not a "sloppy-drunk/spring-break" attitude - but better music, livelier crowd, and the volleyball games were great!

V'Crawlers

Edited: 20 December 2009, 16:41
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RIU Resorts in Playa Del Carmen?

Palaces are less crowded and less kids. Palaces have fewer rooms and the other Riu guests are not allowed in the Palaces.

If you stay at a Palace, you can visit the other RIus.

Riu Pal Mex-430 rooms

Riu Pal. Riv Maya-400 rooms

Riu Playacar-386 rooms

Riu Yucatan-500 Rooms

Riu Tequila-660 rooms

If it is in the budget, I'd def. stay at a Palace, they are much more upscale and adult oriented.