We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Maroma pool

Nj
Level Contributor
216 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Maroma pool

I am reading alot of posts about secrets MAroma pool that it is small. I am a big pool person who likes to hang by the swim up bar. is the pool so small it gets really crowded? the pictures make the pool look quite large. Also how is the disco at night. Is the hotel fairly active?

altoona
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Maroma pool

I'm a big pool person and I think the pool is a nice size. Pool bar at one end with about 18 stools. Make sure you try a scooby do. The disco can be hit or miss. As far as the activities it depends on what type of people are there. We had a blast last april! Best trip I was ever on!

Swanzey, New...
Level Contributor
142 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Maroma pool

There's more than 1 pool. The one with the bar is heated and is a good size. It was never so crowded that we couldn't move freely about. It's a social gathering place. The infinity pool (next to the pool bar pool) is large and while not heated is very refreshing in that wonderful hot sun. There were never more than a handful of people in there.

Ahhhh...wish I was back and out of this below zero weather! Planning our 3rd trip for Nov '10.

Nj
Level Contributor
216 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Maroma pool

Thsnks trying to decide if Iberostar Grand is worth the extra money.

Ohio
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Maroma pool

We are big pool people as well. We are looking to travel the beginning of April and the best deal appears to be at Secrets Silversands for us. Prices $1-2k less than Iberostar grand, SMB, Capri, EPM or ERC..we must have adults only.

MA.
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Maroma pool

Sunshine 346 alot of people have mentioned that the pool is nice at Silversands but the beach is horrible.

Ohio
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Maroma pool

I can live with that if everything else is similar to our experiences at the other places i mentioned...Silversands seems to be the best bang for our buck during our travel period.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Maroma pool

Joe,

In my opinion the Grand is worth every penny more than SMB. Yes, there are 2 pools at SMB - but they are in the same area separated by a narrow area of concrete. SMB's pool area, unfortunately, abounds with concrete. If you are seeking some peace and quiet poolside, there is nowhere to go. Plus, folks complain of the lack of chairs poolside.

The pools at the Grand are to die for. All three of them. Including an indoor spa pool with jets, etc... Tons of chairs, covered/tented/shaded areas, lounges in the water, lounges on grassy areas, etc... Plus, lots of spaces between the chairs - they are not crammed in at all at the Grand.

I have video comparing the two resorts - PM me if you want to see it.

Edited: 31 December 2009, 15:57
CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Maroma pool

We went to SMB during low season and it was easy to get a lounger at noon. I would imagine during busier times it's crowded. Only hung out in one corner of the pool for one afternoon. It's was pretty loud with lively volleyball players. Never went to the swim up bar as the drink service is constant (plus other reasons).

Prefer the quieter beach and had no problems getting chairs and palapas at any time.

I hate wristbands and the thought of making dinner reservations on vacation turns me off. I don't wear a watch, not good at making set plans on vacation and prefer not to be structured with meal times. So the Grand was out for us. SMB is all about the beach. People seemed to enjoy the pool, but I did think it was small. Good Luck deciding. :)

Illinois
Level Contributor
293 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Maroma pool

We found the pools to be surprisingly large at SMB, or I should say, larger than expected after reading some previous posts about "small" pool areas. We just returned and never once, had a problem finding a chair on either the beach or at the pool, at any time of the day. (maybe it was not the first one by the steps or the closest to the bar but there was always availability). And shade was never a problem either.

Didn't do the disco so don't know about that.

altoona
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Maroma pool

No wrist bands or dinner reservations at SMB. Every thing was great!