We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long do you research a resort?

maryland
Level Contributor
204 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
How long do you research a resort?

I was just wondering how long someone researches a resort before hitting the "buy now" button.

WV
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long do you research a resort?

depends...on a can't stay home price, just a little so I don't miss the deal. Otherwise I actually do quite a bit...sometimes up to a month. And I always continue the research after I book, for tips and to enhance the anticipation factor.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long do you research a resort?

This may sound pitiful, as if I have no other life, but I start researching our next trip shortly after we return. LOL

I do spend a lot of time, first checking prices, then best flights, then TA. Back and forth, makes those around me think I'm nuts. Then even after I book it, I'm still reading TA. But, as someone else said, the anticipation is half the fun.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long do you research a resort?

We don't usually stay at resorts. However, I spend lots of time overresearching an area and the local forums to find the best activities, restaurants, tours, etc. It is part of the fun about going on vacation.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long do you research a resort?

I'm with MO....as soon as I return, I start looking again. We may not even be able to go in 2010, but I'm still reading, reading, reading.....in hopes of getting Grandma to watch the kiddos. lol

I also just love to look at traveller pics, as it sort of helps with my Misery state blues.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long do you research a resort?

Roostergal,

I will be dreaming PDC after we get back home this weekend when reading other posts and pics too.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long do you research a resort?

We start planning while we are there, taking note of hotels and resorts that seem inviting to us. We love the PDC and Playacar area and have no desire to go anywhere else.

Also we continue to watch TA and other travel sites for updates and ideas.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long do you research a resort?

I'm constantly keeping an eye out for something that is a good deal or someplace I haven't been before but that sounds interesting.

It doesn't take long to disqualify a resort or a location using TA. I look at the bad reviews to see what people are complaining about and if it is something we wouldn't like, I can eliminate it from my list. If there doesn't seem to anything that would disqualify it for us, I then look at the good reviews to see what people find best about the place. That may take a bit longer to see if this is someplace we would really like for the price they are asking.

8. Re: How long do you research a resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2010, 05:20