We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RPDC - Online Suite Assignment not available

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
RPDC - Online Suite Assignment not available

We are heading to The Royal PDC on Friday, January 8, and have booked a Royal Junion Beachfront Swimout. I used their online check in today, and got a message that online suite assignment was not available at this time. Has anyone else encountered this?

When I look at current reservations, there is nothing available in our category for the first day, which makes me wonder if they are overbooked. It won't be the end of the world if we have to stay in a different room for the first night, but I'd like to know ahead of time, rather than be disappointed at check in, and start the vacation off on a bad note. I emailed them at the address provided, but haven't heard back yet.

Boston
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RPDC - Online Suite Assignment not available

I was at the Royal last week - one of the staff members mentioned that they were overbooked this week and were offering use of the Royal in Cancun to guests instead. Not sure if this might be related - I would call to confirm your reservation!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RPDC - Online Suite Assignment not available

I called and the confirmed the reservation. I asked specifically, will I have this type of room type at this resort, and she just repeated my reservation info to me. She did say to maybe try again tomorrow, but I think she thought the entire online check in system was down. I might have to just let it go and deal with it when we get there, but I'll keep trying the system periodically until we leave.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RPDC - Online Suite Assignment not available

Let us know how it works for you, and good luck. We're doing Friday to Friday at the end of the month so I'm looking forward to hearing if you get your room, how crowded the place is, and how much you enjoyed yourselves. This stretch is always long as the temps are brutal here on the frozen tundra and the clock seems to be at a standstill.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RPDC - Online Suite Assignment not available

We got here on Friday, and they had assigned to a room starting wtiha 6. I knew this was not one of the six beachfront swimouts, so I showed them my printed documents and asked - am I in this type of room? There were some phone calls and waiting, then we were taken the Royal Concierge. We were given Jr. Suite in the new section to change our clothes in, then moved to the Presidential Suite next door, a few hours later. I was told this would be for 2 nights, but we actually moved to our Beachfront Swimout on Saturday. They seemed to expect that I would be there to move the bags, but after a couple of times the concierge agreed that we would leave them packed by the door, and pick up the keys to the new room in the afternoon, where our bags would be waiting.

The Presidential Suite was very pretty, but also very far from the beach. With the cold weather here, we weren't able to make much use of the rooftop deck. The construction is not quite complete either - most of the metal railings are missing,a nd the rooftop bars are not furnished yet. They will be great rooms when they are done - just not my cup of tea. I'm happier down here by the pool and the ocean, although this cold weather is hampering the people watching I like to do.

I'm glad I asked and was persistent about the particular room I'd booked. The first time we did an all inclusive in Jamaica, they put us in a lower category room, but we didn't really know it until later - when I asked where the beach was, in my beachfront room, the bell boy craned his head out the balcony and said - "See - there's the beach". We still had a great time on that trip, but I like the poolside rooms the best, and pretty much insist on getting one.

5. Re: RPDC - Online Suite Assignment not available

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2010, 07:16