We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Resort Suggestion

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Topic
Need Resort Suggestion

Hi -

We have been twice....stayed at what was the Gala Resort and more recently Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya.

I think we might go again in Feb or March...can you suggest other All Inclusive resorts?

We liked both of the above but I like to try new places.

We will have two small kids with us.

Thanks,

Todd

Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Resort Suggestion

I went to the Riu resort and tried to book some rooms....if I put in my two kids it says no room available....but just two adults there is room....???

T

Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Resort Suggestion

We have two young kids and have twice stayed at the Gran Porto Real. We like it a lot because it has a lot of the things we look for - activities for the kids, large pool, right on the beach. The food is decent - some really good, some not so much. They have a la carte Mexican and Italian restaurants which are pretty good. Location can't be beat - right on the beach and just a couple of blocks from all the action on 5th Ave. We are going back to PDC this year, but are not staying at the GPR because it seems their prices have gone sky-high. We'd love to go back but can't afford it this year, so we're trying a non-AI - the Aventura Mexicana, which has gotten great reviews. The benefit for this is the fact that there are tons a great restaurants in Playa, and even when we stayed at the AIs, we ate in town several times for a change. Good luck and enjoy.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Resort Suggestion

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Riu resort. I would also recommend Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan. Our kids loved it there.

Try looking at travel sites like Orbitz, or Cheapcaribbean, both of which were great to work with.

Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Resort Suggestion

I like RIU resorts but am open to any brand, as long as it's in Playa Del Car area.

On the beach, all inclusive and ideally family oriented....might have to look for a room that is a suite or larger.

Todd

Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Resort Suggestion

That resort looks nice. I need to look into it some more.

Thanks,

Todd

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Resort Suggestion

Todd~

You can click on my user name and read my review with about 100 pics. lol

The resort wasn't perfect, drinks for example were kinda wierd but I've read that they have improved in this area. We would go back again, but they don't allow 5 in one room. Just in case you're wondering, the standard rooms were plenty big. Our kids were 4 and 8 at the time. They have a daybed in the room, doesn't pull out into a sofa, but it was big enough for me or my husband to sleep on. Service was excellent!!!!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Resort Suggestion

Thanks...I was referring to Gran Porto Real actually.....next up is your place.

Todd

Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Resort Suggestion

How was the beach at Gran Porta Real?

FYI - I plan to t do a new post in the forum with a better "topic'....mine was too general.

T

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Resort Suggestion

hello,

the beach at the Porto Real is not the nicer one but you can enjoy, but if you walk 5 minutes, you have the better beaches in playa. This hotel is a good choice and the Royal hotel, next to them is also a good one.

If you like to do excursions, just send me an e-mail and i can help you.i am canadian and i leaved playa since 10 years....have a nice trip.Mimi

Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Resort Suggestion

What brand is the "royal"? I looked up a royal one and it was Adults only.

Excursions...I don;t know with two small kids...we plan on 5th Ave...maybe 1 day do one of the "X" parks.

But for now I need to iron out a resort first!

Todd