We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fairmont mayakoba- The reviews are freaking me out !

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
161 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
fairmont mayakoba- The reviews are freaking me out !

I am a loyal Fairmont user- and have enjoyed ( very much ) their Maui Kea Lani and Hawaii Orchid resorts- I have my family of 6 ( 4 kids 10 and under ) booked there in Feb and a couple months ago the reviews were very glowing- I think they were like 90% rec- Lately there have been several not so stellar reviews for different reasons- Now the rec sits at 77 % !!! What gives ? Who has been there and wants to put my mind at ease ??? The place ain't exactly cheap !

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
161 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fairmont mayakoba- The reviews are freaking me out !

No thoughts in this from any people who have actually stayed at the Fairmont ?

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fairmont mayakoba- The reviews are freaking me out !

Weekends can be slow around here. I can't think of any regulars off hand who have stayed there.

But to help ease your fears a bit, it seems to be a fairly common phenomenon: Book a hotel then it starts getting negative reviews.

Be sure to check out the links on the right under Top Questions for tons of info about the area. Enjoy your trip! :) CW

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
161 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fairmont mayakoba- The reviews are freaking me out !

Thanks !

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: fairmont mayakoba- The reviews are freaking me out !

I haven't stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba but do stay with the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts a lot.

That being said I have noticed on Trip Advisor the more expensive the hotel/resort the worse the reviews.

You have to remember that 99% of travelers won't leave a review of a resort, only those that have had a very positive or (typically) a very negative one will post a review.

Compound that with the fact that when someone is paying "top" dollar for a vacation they have great expectations. As a result they may be faster to down rate a resort if everything is not up to their expectations.

I put negative reviews in the "make it or break it formula". I think to myself if this review is true and it happend to me while on vacation would I regret staying at that resort?

If I booked say, "The Green Tree Resort" and the staff at the front desk were aloof, the food was average and the beach was rocky would I regret booking the resort? One persons "make it or break it" list is different from anothers.

I also check out the user who left the review.

How many posts has the user left? Did they join just to leave the negative review or are they a constructive TA user? What are their previous posts like, are they a cronic complainer or overtly negative?

Check out their country of origin. The expectations of a traveler from different countries can vary. One countries expected 5* is anothers 3*.

Some countries also have a difference in cultural conduct. A reviewer from one country may rate the staff as aloof vs. impeccable or womanizing vs. gregarious depending on their expectations of cultural norms.

Good luck with the decision!

Mentioned in this post
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
4,633 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fairmont mayakoba- The reviews are freaking me out !

What an excellent post re: how cultural and other expectations affect your evaluation of a resort. This should be a 'sticky' at the top of the forum for everyone to read.

birmingham, mi
Level Contributor
161 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fairmont mayakoba- The reviews are freaking me out !

Fantastic post ! Thanks so much ! I did notice that all the real bad reviews were from over one year ago

7. Re: fairmont mayakoba- The reviews are freaking me out !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2010, 06:19