We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local joints for food

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Local joints for food

We like to explore the local places rather than the 5th ave restaruants. we are staying at IB Quetzel later this month. What places should we check out fo authentic food? Clean places please

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local joints for food

go to the right of this forum page and click on the "where should I eat" topic. It will give you choices of dining and click on one of them and a list of good restaurants will pop up. There are soo many. Hope this helps you.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Local joints for food

Playa info.com under their forum hole in the wall places first sticky, resturant list. The best, most updated and reliable.

Have fun!

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local joints for food

H C de Monterrey...on Constituyentes between 25th ave and 30th ave.(?) Delicious steak with choice of baked potato or whole roasted onion (have hubby choose one and you choose the other and then split them) also avocado and one beverage (pop or beer) Yum yum yum yum yum. $10.00. I guess I'll go put that Banquet pot pie in the oven for supper tonight now.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local joints for food

Carboncitos - Calle 4 between 5th and 10th Aves

Playa Maya - on the beach at Calle 8 (best shrimp tacos & coconut shrimp)

They serve a great breakfast also. Not open for dinner.

El Bistro at La Tortuga - nice for dinner, very romantic setting, great prices, great food - 10th Ave & Calle 14.

Ah Cacao - Constituyentes off 5th Ave, northwest corner next to Aca Los Tacos. Great coffee, cakes, candy, and killer brownies.

Zenzi Beach Bar - Great BBQ on Sundays 2-6 pm-all you can eat for $10 pp

The beach at Calle 10

Wicky's - Burger and fries. HUGE enough for 2.

The beach at Calle 10 next to Zenzi

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,582 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local joints for food

Dittos for HC Monterrey.

This may be the best authentic Mexican restaurant in PDC, Dona Mari, 30th Ave and Calle 28. Try the impenadas.

La Pesca for seafood, 30th Ave across from the Mega mall.

El Fogon: 30th ave. at calle 6 bis. Great local restaurant for tacos al pastor and other Mexican dishes. There are 3 of them actually, Mexico's idea of a chain restaurant ?, nope.

I still love the tacos al pastor at Carboncito's, but I lost in the vote a few weeks ago to El Fogon.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,582 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local joints for food

Ah, I see Candylady is still pushing Ah Cacao. My posse loves this place, so addicting. Show some control.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local joints for food

El Fogon

Carboncitos

Those 2 you can't go wrong! We also liked HC Monterey.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local joints for food

OT3, that's what vacation is all about ... lol. I'm sooo addicted to this place. Try not to ever miss a night of going there :-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local joints for food

I was too stuffed from dinner to have a bite at Ah Cacao! :( Probaby next time. We did window shop there.

Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Local joints for food

I second La Pesca. Best seafood in town.

For shrimp tacos, I like La Floresta, on the highway. Also, Don Ceviche just opened a new location, on the highway. They have great tostadas with ceviche and shrimp tacos.

el Fogon is way overrated, IMHO. People seem to like it for its atmosphere, but I think the service is bad and the food average.