We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should she stay or go??????

New Castle, PA
Level Contributor
260 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Should she stay or go??????

4 couples are meeting at Sandos Playacar Jan 28th-Feb 4th. One couple, who has never been to Mexico, had bought the insurance and has the option to change to the Catalonia Royal Tulum. The other 3 couples are stuck there. This couple is trying to decide whether to stay at Sandos with the other couples where the beach may be closed or go to the CRT where there is a guaranteed gorgeous beach. I told them that the decision is theirs but they are having a tough time and need to make the decision by tomorrow if they are going to do so. Any input to help them decide one way or the other? Having been to the CRT in May, I know that it is a very nice resort.

Mentioned in this post
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Sandos Playacar Beach...
14,227 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort
Catalonia Royal Tulum...
7,988 Reviews
Xpu-Ha, Mexico
Montreal
Level Contributor
189 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should she stay or go??????

in all honesty if it were me,I would stay with the friends and make the best of it!! after all you have drinks,pool friends ..what else do you need!! plus the beach might not be closed all week so...have a great trip!

Eliot, Maine
Level Contributor
722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should she stay or go??????

The whole area is Beach, go find one and have fun with your friends.........

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should she stay or go??????

i would stay with the group

Minnesota
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should she stay or go??????

Did you guys plan the trip together as a group? If so, I would def stay all together. You won't be able to visit eachother at one anothers resorts if your staying AI unless you buy a day pass so unless you guys plan to meet up in town often, they really will not get to hang out with the rest of the group at all, what fun is that?

sorry about the terrible grammer, YIKES!

Edited: 20 January 2010, 04:07
St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should she stay or go??????

I don't think they have enough pipe to do the beach from Sandos to the ferry dock. Thus they will have to reattach the pipe closer to the Reef Playacar 10 resorts north of Sandos. If they start pouring the beach on Jan 23 as planned than they could be gone as early as Jan 28 or 29. Either way I can't believe Sandos being the resort furthest south in Playacar won't have beach chairs and service set up a little south along the beach, it's just a beautiful beach a 100 yards south of Sandos.

I can't believe you would break up your posse.

They finished the beach in Playa last night and 20% of the pipe had been detached and stacked for delivery to Sandos by 4:00 this afternoon. I see they are still working on the beach in front of the GPR now. They usually work through the night.

Mentioned in this post
The Reef Playacar
The Reef Playacar
5,266 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
274 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
lincoln,england
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should she stay or go??????

Whatever happenend to the "all for one and one for all" mentality.

Listen if I'm going with friends or family anywhere I want us to have the crack together and if that means in this case we have to walk a couple hundred yards up the beach to avoid these pipes then so be it?

Why the heck would you want to split up? If you do, I'm sure it will affect your friendship if they split from you, and the 3 that stay will definitely form some sort of bond, and the 4th couple will become sort of "outsiders".

Some of the best things come from adversity and i bet you will have a fantastic time regardless of the beach situation.

I guess it comes down to how good friends you all are.

Edited: 20 January 2010, 09:21
Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,783 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should she stay or go??????

Go...why wait!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should she stay or go??????

Assuming a start date at Sandos of Jan 23, the question is how long will the beach be closed. I have seen 9-10 days in Cancun and PDC. If Playa Palms opens today, they will be at six days. I am assuming that the second dredger will be in Playacar which would support a shorter period.

So my GUESS, assuming a Jan 23 start date, is that the beach would be open at Sandos around Jan 29.

So plan on excursions a day or two. Go off-site for a beach, especially if they set up facilities just south.

I would stay based upon my guess using OT3's info and tolerate a possible few days of inconvenience as well as staying with the group.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa Palms Beach Hotel
Playa Palms Beach Hotel
1,039 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
274 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should she stay or go??????

Another point. As first timers they may not want to leave their resort. What a shame. Staying with you they would feel better about going to Coba, Xplor, Xcaret, Xel-ha or any of the many other places. Stay with the group.

Mentioned in this post
Xplor Park
Xplor Park
15,341 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
1,203 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Fort Montgomery...
Level Contributor
417 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should she stay or go??????

I am leaving on the 30th for the RIU playacar with my two friends.I have not told them about the possibility of our beach being closed at least part of our trip.This will be my third trip to the area and if the beach is closed i plan on doing day trips and hanging out at the pool.I am trying to stay as opptimistic as i can but will say i have been losing sleep.I guess the good thing about staying at these riu resorts is we can visit the other resorts and mix it up so we won't be bored at one place.I will be happy just being in Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
5,498 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America