We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Question?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Passport Question?

My wife and I will be traveling to Playa April 19th -26th of this year. My wives passport expires May 1st of this year, only five days after we return. Are we going to have any issues with this?

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Question?

You very well could have a problem. This was debated about 3 months ago on the forum. You may be denied entry because it would expire within 6 months. You have 6 months to ramble around Mexico, so they might get sticky with such a short experation date, even though you have every intention of being home before it expires. I would recommend you update it, and not take the chance it will spoil your vacation.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Question?

Here's the old thread on the subject, it was 6 months ago.

tripadvisor.com/…18993283

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Question?

I just got off the phone with the US Passport imformation line. They told me I would not have a problem with the passport as long as the experation date is anytime after I leave Mexico. I would just go ahead a renew it but her passport is still in her maiden name. When booking trips I need to book her name as her maiden so it matches her passport. But if I was to renew it now it would have my last name. I don't want to pay to change the name on the airline ticket!

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Question?

I agree with OT3. You have time to renew so why not? What would happen if one of you got sick and you could not leave Mexico for another week? Be safe, renew.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Question?

i would weigh the cost of having to change her name on the airline ticket against what all of the other posters are saying, i don't think it's worth it not to renew. don't take the word of just one person from the state department telling you it will be ok, if i were you i would call back several times & make sure. i had an awful problem w/ my daughters passport (it was unbelievable) everyday i would call & get a different story-it took over 3 months. it was so bad i had to get my state senator involved & that did the trick, thank god!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,670 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport Question?

Not to mention you're at the mercy of the ticket agents for your airline. They may have the wrong information, and if they say you can't board, you will not fly.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport Question?

Ticket agents at the gate usually aren't all that well informed! While my experience was different during Jan. 2nd and not related to passport.......US Airways had gone back to allowing 2 carryon bags and had even annouced it on their website. And 1 day prior to going to leave Cancun International, I even called USAirways customer service to double check. I get to the counter and the clerks refused to allow us 2 carryon despite the change going back to the normal 2 carryon bags after the underwear bomber incident. It took us getting out of line and going to the US Airways office in the airport to call the ticket agent clerks to tell them that yes we were correct with the recent info.

I wouldn't chance it if I were you.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport Question?

The original post was about passport expiry, it is fine to ask the US government but the 6 month ruling is from the MEXICAN GOVERNMENT. They will not let you into the county without 6 months left after your return date.

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport Question?

In 2007 a passenger on my flight was kept for over 3 hours at Cancun airport in Immigration because his passport only had 6 months and 2 weeks left on it before it expired and they could not decide whether this was JUST cutting it too fine. He had left the UK with no problems and had been told that it was fine by the UK side but the Mexican side (as is their right) debated it for a long time before deciding that it would be ok. The Rep for the resort had to put in writing that he would take the resonsibility to deliver the passenger personally for his flight home.

We are told in the UK that our passports need to have more than 6 months left for a visit to Mexico.

I would definitely renew - is it worth the risk for a little bit of money to change the name on the tickets?

Edited: 21 January 2010, 10:46
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport Question?

I may be missing something here but isn't it technically possible for a U.S. citizen to enter Mexico with only a birth certificate and drivers' license? Yes, passports are required but that is a U.S. requirement (and they won't have a problem with the expiry date). Mexico does not require a passport - or has that changed?