We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The tipping poll..do you or don't you?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
The tipping poll..do you or don't you?

I am often amazed at the widely different reviews of the same resorts. I know that people have different experiences and expectations and some people are glass half full and some people are just miserable SOB's. I also know that the AI's advertise that tipping is included. I always found it amazing that a lot of people don't tip. I was wondering if that would have an effect on the experience. When people are waiting for hours and say the service is terrible and room service never showed up is it because these people don't realize that though it is packaged as tips included. In my own experience I can say that I have been recognized as a tipper and received special dinners and drinks etc...any opinions or anectdotes.

Graham, TX
Level Contributor
252 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The tipping poll..do you or don't you?

We have always tipped, and feel that it does make a difference. I would say that it seems that the biggest diiference is when you tip by the pool or beach. I always try to give the waiter a good tip as soon as we get the first drink, and tell him to keep them coming. It seems like they are quicker to get us more drinks when we do this.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
988 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The tipping poll..do you or don't you?

Hi Tressie i truly believe in tipping. Those people work hard every day to try and make everyone happy a big feat if you ask me cause some people aren't never happy i don't know why they even leave the house. We tip generously and have left gifts (punta cana) vacation. I plan on bringing cash and some gifts i just like leaving something to show my appreciation it does make for a better vacation and it makes me feel better also.

Cinn

Graham, TX
Level Contributor
252 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The tipping poll..do you or don't you?

As far as gifts we usually take a football with the Cowboys logo on it to play with in the pool. On our last day we always leave it with the bartenders and they love it. My brother started this and the bartenders usually always fight over it!

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The tipping poll..do you or don't you?

To me, there is no reason NOT to tip. Here, if I order a beer, I tip a buck every few beers or so (if not every one) and I'm paying for that beer, so why wouldn't I extend the same to those where my drinks are 'free' and they make far less than a bartender in the US would make.

Housekeeping is the same thing. Two of us in a room, easily a buck a day. I am pretty clean and I know that I don't make that big of a 'mess' but if my service has been outstanding, I'll tip a bit more at the end.

I mean on a cruise, you're assessed $10 a day for tips (for room/conscierge) in addition to paying for drinks.

calgary
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The tipping poll..do you or don't you?

I do believe tipping makes a HUGE difference on the way you are treated. From the concierge, waitresses, bellboys and maids. Its a nice feeling when you walk up to a crowded bar to see that the bartender already has your drink made.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The tipping poll..do you or don't you?

we always tip no matter how bad the service in any area at any if the ai resorts we have visited. but i must say we are extremely generous to those who go out of their way & bend over backwards. if we go for about a week-we take approx. $150 usd just for tips alone. even if they tell you that tips are included in the package, you can only imagine that they still receive next to nothing for all of their hard work, a little appreciation (tips) go a long way. (we visited a resort last april-4 star ai-& i witnessed a guest giving a waiter a $20 us bill for his tip, the waiter had tears pouring down his face literally, he thanked the man over & over but couldn't stop the tears from coming & he graciously walked away wiping the tears, smiling. it made his day & probably his week as well-all that the waiter did was bring the man 4 drinks)

Edited: 29 January 2010, 16:41
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
988 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The tipping poll..do you or don't you?

Haletotheredskins now that's what i like to hear that's an awesome thing to experience.

Boston
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The tipping poll..do you or don't you?

From all the responses and my own experiences I have to agree. But why so many negative reviews. I know you can't do anything about the facilities and the weather but the service?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,781 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The tipping poll..do you or don't you?

We tip for good or better service, never a bribe (tip before the service), and in the restaurants whether it be buffet or specialty if we don't get at least good service I don't tip. As we always stay at the same resort the waiters know us so it rarely happens that we don't give them a tip. But sometimes. And for drinks in the evening as we have waiter service I don't tip every time but generally give them something every couple of days. In many cases you won't see tips being given as rarely do we see money left on the table. I always palm it to them in a handshake as we're leaving the restaurant or lounge area.

Boston
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The tipping poll..do you or don't you?

Everyone who responds tips. Who doesn't tip and do they get the same service?