We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Yucatan Rooms and front desk

Ringwood, NJ
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
RIU Yucatan Rooms and front desk

First timer heading to Riu Yucatan April 15-20. Have read various things about best rooms etc. Question is how accomodating are the front desk people. Should I immediately ask to be placed in a specific block? Block 1, 3rd floor actual king beds!. I just dont want to seem like a pushy guy and get stuck somewhere less desireable. besides some cash, any suggestions?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU Yucatan Rooms and front desk

I don't think cash works at the Rius. If they have something along the lines that you're looking for you'll get it, without handing over the $.

I'd suggest you email the resort hotel.yucatan(at)riu.com substitute @ for (at) about 1 week or two before you leave. Any earlier they may not even know you're coming as many of the tour operators don't give them a list until that 1 - 2 weeks.

Give them your names, dates there, tour operator (if there is on like Apple), confirmation #'s approximate time of arrival and building/floor level you'd like. Also, go to Riu's website at www.riu.com and apply for a Riu Class card. It gives you discounts for some of the non-Riu expenses you might encur such as Scuba Caribe, massage, car rental. Also tells reception the next Riu you visit you're a repeat Riu guest. They love that.

Need more info on the Yucatan check out Rusty's "unofficial" Riu website and discussion board at www.riubambu.com

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
885 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU Yucatan Rooms and front desk

I will also be staying at the Riu Yucatan arriving on February 18th - thank you for the info about emailing the resort. Does anyone have a favorite Building/Room to stay in? Any other tips or advise for staying here? I stayed at the Riu Cancun in December, but this will be my first time at the Yucatan. Also, I am traveling with friends and we have 3 rooms booked - has anyone had experience getting rooms close together at this resort?

Thanks for any input - counting the day!!!!

Michelle

Ringwood, NJ
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU Yucatan Rooms and front desk

Through all my research over the last month or so, blocks 1,2, & 3 are in the middle of everything and less noisy than the pool adjacent blocks 4,5,6. 7,8,9 are in back of the reception area. Block 1 seems to have a following, you also need to ask for a balcony with railing, not wall. actual king beds are avail on 3rd floor, not sure where else. otherwise its 2 doubles pushed together. here is link to a map from the resort.

riubambu.com/RIU_WEB_PAGES/…yucatan_map.htm

please post when you return, id like to have a full game plan in place for april.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RIU Yucatan Rooms and front desk

Friends who have been to the Yucatan many times just take whatever building they're given and they've been in most - front, middle and street side of reception and loved the location of them all for various reasons. Only thing they do insist on though is the see-through balcony railing.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIU Yucatan Rooms and front desk

Never had a problem when I have been there (2 times) and made a room request at checkin. The first time they were going to put us in a room on the first floor, which does not offer as much privacy as those on the upper floors. I requested another floor, and my request was granted quickly with a smile.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
595 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIU Yucatan Rooms and front desk

Which rooms have a rail and which ones have a concrete barrier?? Is this dependant on blocks or floor??

Twin Cities
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RIU Yucatan Rooms and front desk

Any one know if the RIU Tequila also has the balconies with rail and concrete or are all of theirs one way or the other?

Thx.

FL
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: RIU Yucatan Rooms and front desk

We were in Building 1 on the ground floor facing the path to the Tequilla and loved it. Close enough to everything and very quiet and private because of the foliage.

I would ask for this location again. We had 3 rooms and were put all in a row.

Loved it!

The North East
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: RIU Yucatan Rooms and front desk

I stayed in block 5, left hand block, top floor next to the pool, didnt find it noisy- very handy for pools, beach, restaurants for lunch in one direction, handy for reception and main restaurant in other. Had two doubles pushed together, no concrete block for balcony. Good view of the howler monkeys in the trees and even on the balcony once! Type Riu Yucatan map into google and you can view plans of the resort.

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
885 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RIU Yucatan Rooms and front desk

Thanks for the info!

I emailed the resort last week requesting building 5 so we would be close to pool/beach area. They responded the next day saying it was too early to confirm, but would do their best to accommodate us.

Thanks again for the info! Only 2 more sleeps....I am just soooo excited!!!

Michelle