We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

peso denominations

Penticton, BC
Level Contributor
541 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
peso denominations

Hi guys..

EEK! Should of searched but didn't.

Can you tell me what the lowest denomination of peso there is? Or what some of the denominations are? Easier to come by? Not so easier to come by?

Where I bank, I have to order peso and if I order say "10,000" peso, I have no say on the denominations they come in so I am thinking of ordering small bunches instead so that I get small bills.

Thanks in advance!!!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,677 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: peso denominations

They won't give you coins, so that excludes the 10 pesos. Bills come in 20, 50, 100, 500, 1,000.

Most 20's and 50's are waterproof and this is what you will use the most and are the hardest to come by. Usually, the cashier at your hotel can give you change for the larger peso notes. If you feel comfortable using the ATM's than 10,000 pesos (about $800) seems a bit much, especially if you are staying at an AI.

Penticton, BC
Level Contributor
541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: peso denominations

Thanks OT3!!!!

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: peso denominations

Scorpion, I live in a much smaller town than you and went to BMO and gave a list of denominations and #'s and asked for good condition. They told me they can't guarantee it but I got what I asked for, 20's, 50's and 100's which was just for tipping on the resort. If I needed more I get them from the ATM at ScotiaBank on 5th Ave.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: peso denominations

Stupid question but why are having your bank bring in Peso's? You pay exhange plus a service fee for them. Just use your debit card and withdraw peso's in Mexico. You get the best exhange rate that way and a very small service fee compared to what you pay at home at the bank. Or just change good old Canadian Cash at at cambio there.... good exchange rate and no service charge.

Penticton, BC
Level Contributor
541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: peso denominations

Actually, that is not correct.

My bank charge for purchasing any foreign currency (except US)= 5.00

My fee for each time I use my bank card regardless of amount outside of Canada: 3.00 from my bank plus the fee from the bank machine that I use.

I can have the 5.00 fee waived here at my bank. I was employed there for 9 years.

I can't have the fee waived from the bank machine that I use.

Can anyone tell me what the exchange rate was on the most recent transaction they made using a bank machine down there? Because I still get a staff exchange rate and so it is probably better than any bank machine down in Mexico. I will know in 2 months when I visit and see for myself.

So it is better for me to buy it here. :)

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: peso denominations

mamma, if you are staying at an all-inclusive resort and want to tip in pesos it is really hard to find lots of 20 and 50 peso notes. If I remember correctly when I took pesos from the ATM smallest was 100. When I purchased them at home it was only $5 on top of the exchange rate which would have been about the same if you get it from the ATM same time same day. Cambio rates aren't as good as the ATM. And if you're as old as I am with a seniors account you may not have to pay for international ATM transactions. I get a couple a month which is more than enough. I did notice that the rate for exchanging C$ at our resort this past trip was as good as the cambios.

Penticton, BC
Level Contributor
541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: peso denominations

I can get 11.58 peso per CAD dollar right now.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,677 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: peso denominations

This person knows their money. Look out Mexicans.

Level Contributor
860 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: peso denominations

scorpion are you getting that rate at the bank? I think maybe I will start, before the olympics actually start to avoid traffic and lineups heading to a bank and getting some pesos :)!

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: peso denominations

C$ dropped right off vs the US$ over the past week but starting to strengthen a bit again. Higher it gets the more pesos you'll get.