We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Porto Real,, Any Info? Heading there next week

saskatoon, sask
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Gran Porto Real,, Any Info? Heading there next week

Anyone just returning. We are leaving for Gran Porto next week. Can you give me some feed back on the dress code for the Al A carte's and how strick they are.

Also any current in fo on beaches and construction?

Also We have booked a Junior Suite Ocean View and advise on room to ask for.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Porto Real,, Any Info? Heading there next week

Do a search for GPR on the forum to find MnVking's website with great pictures and a map. We had the cheapest room available and were very happy, so I'm sure you will love yours.

According to the Real Club greeter, the al a cartes are casual. We tested that to the max and found even teeshirts, shorts, and sandals are okay, but the men's shirts can't be sleeveless.

We loved the steaks at the Italian. If you get Sergio at the Mexican make sure you greet him with "Far Out Man". My DH and the neighboring tables had a blast with him on that one!

saskatoon, sask
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Porto Real,, Any Info? Heading there next week

Thanks for the info,, I'll Be leaving the pants at home,, Shorts only,

Sergio,, I have taken note and be sure to track hin down.

I hear lots of chatter on the Time Share People being quite a bother

Any info on them And how was the food at the buffet?

Thanks Again

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Porto Real,, Any Info? Heading there next week

Best food we've ever had, but my group is usually okay with Old Country Buffet so not real picky.

The guy/gal who will explain the hotel amenities is also the "Real Club" rep, he will bring up a free breakfast/lunch over at the Royal and it wouldn't take over 90 minutes. A firm not interested was all we needed and with 3 rooms we heard it 3 different times.

Unless they are talking about the sharks at the airport. Make sure you don't even make eye contact with that group, just sprint from Customs to the doors outside! The TS guys are kind of funny on 5th, but in a friendly way as long as you don't stop.

Pendleton, Oregon
Level Contributor
412 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Porto Real,, Any Info? Heading there next week

With a jr. suite, you may have an opportunity to upgrade to the royal. Our friends did it for free. We stayed at GPR - they wanted more money for us to upgrade because we only had a standard room. We did not need any reservations for the al a carte restaurants, and they didn't care what we wore. The Italian was very good, the Mexican was good, and the buffet better for breakfast. It didn't compare to the others for dinner. The buffet by the pool and beach had great guacamole. The drinks were pretty good too.

saskatoon, sask
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Porto Real,, Any Info? Heading there next week

Can you tell me why the GPR are trying to upgrade to the Royal and from what you saw and heard from your friends is it really an upgrade? I understand it maybe quite larger. My Girl friend has stayed ay the GPR about 5 years ago and said it was quite nice.

If the upgrade is offered should it be seriously considered?

Thanks,

Pendleton, Oregon
Level Contributor
412 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Porto Real,, Any Info? Heading there next week

Yes, their room was great at the royal. Hot tub in room. Choices for many more restaurants, better beach with no rocks. People from the Royal can use GPR, but the GPR crowd can't use facilities at the Royal without a day pass, which was in Dec. $20 per person per day. We did use their tennis court though.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Porto Real,, Any Info? Heading there next week

Pico de gillo is excellent at the beach bar food station. I had guac and pico de gillo for lunch every day.

The Royal's beach was very crowded last week. I would be very surprised if you are offered an upgrade to the Royal. There was a lot of Royal upgrades in November, but I haven't heard of any recently especially with the posts talking about overbooking.

I'd rather have a GPR room upgrade, the Royal had that big resort complex fell. At least from the outside and the beach.

saskatoon, sask
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Porto Real,, Any Info? Heading there next week

We do have a Jr Suite Ocean View booked at the GPR. I am assuming that this should be a nice room. Do you have any info on the rooms?

We do not require a large resort smaller has worked just fine in the past as long as the food is fine, we are not real fussy eaters

Looks like the beaches have just been redone so should be that should be good.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Porto Real,, Any Info? Heading there next week

Here is the link to MnViking45's website...

http://www.thatec.com

Click on the Mexico/Gran Porto Real/New for 2007 the whole website is full of great pictures, but there is a map of the resort that you can enlarge. There is also great information about specific rooms.

It was one of the first PdC website I bookmarked, thanks MnViking45!

saskatoon, sask
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Porto Real,, Any Info? Heading there next week

Thanks Much for the link, That was great information