We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

info - 1st timers

london
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
info - 1st timers

Hi, we are thinking of going in April, what will the weather be like, which hotels, area would be best? any info would help!!

tx
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: info - 1st timers

The weather should be great in April. As far as hotels - what are you looking for? AI, close to town, quiet, party spot, etc....

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: info - 1st timers

There is a tremendous source of information here on the site....you really need to think about what it is you envision your trip to be like....ie......lots of time on an incredible beach....lot's of exciting day trips....dancing to salsa to dawn or quiet intimate dinners....

it is all in the playa del carmen area....

so be specific and ask questions about what you want to do and trust me you will get some great information on this site...

you can also search past posts that will give you great information as many things have been posted over and over, that being said

don't be afraid to ask because things change and you want the most recent updates on the things you want to do....

feel free to message me, if I can help you ;)

good luck and most importantly have a great time.......

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: info - 1st timers

To get you started there are tons of info linked on the right under Top Questions. Have fun researching! :) CW

Hotels in town:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20659-Playa_De…

Some of my favorite eats:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i15504-Playa_De…

Edited: 09 February 2010, 14:46
london
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: info - 1st timers

Hi, thanks for the help. We have been looking at Playa del carmen, hotel Gran Porto Real. A good beach is very important, not a to busy area, but some bars and restaurants if we want them. Not to built up!! Thanks for the advice.

london
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: info - 1st timers

Thanks for the info,will start now!

london
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: info - 1st timers

Hi, thanks for the reply. We have been looking at Gran Porto Real in Playa del carmen. We love a good beach, not to busy area or built up, but bars,restaurants if we want them.

Harrison, Arkansas
Level Contributor
14 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: info - 1st timers

I had also looked ar Gran Porto Real before going to Playa in December. Pros: Close (easy walking) to 5th .Cons: The beach area is diminished. It would not be my choice if a beach area is very important to you. We stayed at the Iberostat Quetzal in Playacar. You need to take a taxi (readily available, five minutes or less, $5.00 U.S.) into Playa. We were very pleased at Quetzal and would stay there again. We walked up & down the beach in Playa as we loved the area and plan on returning. The beach is wider north of Gran Porto Real but it is more built up (condos, taller buildings). Gran Porto Real and part of the area south (Playa Palms area) seem to be especially hard hit. It did widen back out before you get to the ferry dock but I don't recall any AI's in that area. Hope this helps!

london
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: info - 1st timers

Thanks will have a look at the Quetzal. Yes the beach is very important to us.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,677 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: info - 1st timers

Spoiledwife- You just missed the new beach, opened Jan 22, 2010. The most recent beach restoration added about a 150 ft of sand. All the sand bags are gone.

www.realresorts.com/Gran_Porto_Real/Webcam/

This is another look at the beach from top of Playa palms Hotel.

www.playa.info/webcam-playa-palms-2.html

Babaloo's You Tube video of the finished beach between the piers.

Jan 22 YouTube

www.youtube.com/watch…

Harrison, Arkansas
Level Contributor
14 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: info - 1st timers

Thanks Old Traveler! I am so happy they have repaired the beach Playa is such a beautiful area. I appreciate the updated info as well as the links!