We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good restaurants in PDC?

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Good restaurants in PDC?

Looking for a good restaurant in PDC. Candylady, if you're out there or anyone else who's been before please help me out.

Ontario
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good restaurants in PDC?

Along to same lines...anybody here been to Alux? I'd like to try it out...is it kid-friendly? good food? thanx.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good restaurants in PDC?

What type of restaurant are you looking for? If you want seafood, Blue Lobster is good. If you want more authentic food, you'll have to go off 5th Ave. Good breakfast places are: The Coffee Press, Don Emilione's, Playa Maya Restaurant. Plenty of taco places....the farther you go from the tourist section, the more authentic the food/better/more reasonable in price. What kind of restaurant are you looking for specifically? Romantic, good place for nice dinnerl, place with entertainment?

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,719 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good restaurants in PDC?

Dunno how young your kids are, but I think kids that were at least, say, about 7 would like Alux precisely because of it's weird, interesting atmosphere. One disclaimer: if you happen to have a child who enjoys being loud, screaming, that sort of thing, it's probably not the place to go!

Steve

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
91 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good restaurants in PDC?

Hi,

Just got back and I was Extremely pleased with YAXCHE. THis restaurant has an informative website you can check out. The location is right off 5th avenue and the decor is very cool; and they have an outdoor courtyard as well. I saw a couple families with children., this place does very good business. FOr my husband and I we had one appetizer, 2 soups, 2 entrees and 4 sodas and the total was $38 USD. The food was awesome!! I had Massewah, which is like a tomato and lime based soup with tortilla strips. I also had the Pakal, chicked with peppers, onions, and rice in this heavenly tasty sauce that was part sour orange. The dipping sauce they serve with the bread was also very enjoyable. We also went to Alux for dinner, which I had mixed feelings about. Alux is on the other side of the highway so you need to take a cab there. The atmosphere is really nice, the cave is expansive and there are many areas to explore. They had a belly dancing show at 9:00, and the girl and the guy were really good and fun to watch. THe menu, however, was about 85% seafood, which may or may not be a problem. THe staff speaks very little english, which caused some communication problems with my high school level spanish. The entrees are between $14-18USD, the food was decent, I had

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
91 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good restaurants in PDC?

Hi,

Just got back and I was Extremely pleased with YAXCHE. THis restaurant has an informative website you can check out. The location is right off 5th avenue and the decor is very cool; and they have an outdoor courtyard as well. I saw a couple families with children., this place does very good business. FOr my husband and I we had one appetizer, 2 soups, 2 entrees and 4 sodas and the total was $38 USD. The food was awesome!! I had Massewah, which is like a tomato and lime based soup with tortilla strips. I also had the Pakal, chicked with peppers, onions, and rice in this heavenly tasty sauce that was part sour orange. The dipping sauce they serve with the bread was also very enjoyable. We also went to Alux for dinner, which I had mixed feelings about. Alux is on the other side of the highway so you need to take a cab there. The atmosphere is really nice, the cave is expansive and there are many areas to explore. They had a belly dancing show at 9:00, and the girl and the guy were really good and fun to watch. THe menu, however, was about 85% seafood, which may or may not be a problem. THe staff speaks very little english, which caused some communication problems with my high school level spanish. The entrees are between $14-18USD, the food was decent, I had Pollo Pechuga, with was a chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese and spinach with a ginger mango sauce. When we went they were having troubles with the credit card machine, so they couldn't accept ANY of our credit cards, which left us scrounging for enough cash for the taxi back. Overall I felt less satisfied with the meal and service and more satisfied with the decor, make sure to bring some cash with you just in case they have troubles with their card machines.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
91 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good restaurants in PDC?

sorry for double post, forgot to mention--Alux would be a good place for kids because of the atmosphere. Only if they are older, quiet and well behaved, because it is a very dark and romantic setting. Also there are no 'kid-friendly' menu items.

ama
California
Level Contributor
266 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good restaurants in PDC?

Our favories were Yaxche and Palpa Hemmingways. Both have websites if you want to check out menus and pictures. If you go to Yaxche reserve a seat at the garden.

For a more "casual" place we loved the shrimp tacos at El Oasis, although I'm not sure if it's open right now as people have said it's being remodeled.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
100 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good restaurants in PDC?

We just went to The Glass Bar in PDC last week - it was some of the best italian food I've ever had. Their seafood soup is amazing as was the mushroom ravioli with truffles - all homemade pasta. Comparable restuarants here in the US would cost 2x's as much. We've lived in NYC, too. Also went to The Blue Parrot for lunch - excellent Tortillia soup.