We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone returned lately from SMB?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
870 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone returned lately from SMB?

I was curious about the lack of good A/C I've read about in many of the reviews. Have they addressed this issue? Is it only certain rooms? (i.e. top floors or rooms with afternoon sun) Are there people who have carefully kept the doors shut to avoid the autoshutoff who are still having a problem? Any input would be helpful.

Missouri
Level Contributor
870 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone returned lately from SMB?

bump

Clinton Township...
Level Contributor
584 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone returned lately from SMB?

Missouri
Level Contributor
870 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone returned lately from SMB?

bump

Boston
Level Contributor
147 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone returned lately from SMB?

We had decent A/C in room #2622 but it was so cold there last week my issue was trying to make sure it wouldn't come on.We left the sliding doors slightly open at night and I'm pretty sure that keeps it from kicking on. You do want your doors shut around 5 PM each evening as they spray a huge fog for mosquitoes.They didn't need to spray later in the week because all the mosquitoes had obviously frozen too death.

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone returned lately from SMB?

Island - how cold was it there last week? What were the temps during the day and at night?

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone returned lately from SMB?

We were there in November 2009. The AC was great. You are correct that it turns off automatically if ANY door is open. This means your front door and the slider on the balcony. One night we left the slider open and woke up hot, so I got up closed the slider and the room cooled off right away. Another night, I woke up a little chilly, so I turned the AC down. We were on the second floor, partial ocean view. The AC works just as it should - I wish my house worked that way for when the kids walk out.

Boston
Level Contributor
147 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone returned lately from SMB?

Tiki- It was very unusual weather for February.I'd guess the day temps were in the low 70''s evenings had to be in the low 60's or high 50's ,but with the wind it felt a lot cooler.It rained several times during the week and the clouds just refused to break.My wife wore a fleece jacket and she was still cold, so two nights we just ordered room service and didn't bother to go out.A year ago we stayed at the Valentin in February and the sun was out for seven days and we got cooked,so I guess you never know.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone returned lately from SMB?

The weather has been weird for sure. All of the powerful storms slamming the East coast have had an impact on the weather for sure. We just returned from a mini break and had sweaters, fleeces and long pants on the entire time. We have hit cold weather before in Florida but nothing like this. We came home and immediately made arrangements for another beach trip. I assume it will be nicer in May. The cold weather really emphasized to us the importance of staying somewhere w/ a nice room and plenty of drinks/restaraunt choices---you never know about the weather.

Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone returned lately from SMB?

We just got back. Our visit was 2/13-2/20, and we didn't have an issue with the air conditioning. However, since it was cool for Cancun, especially at night, we slept with the door open out the balcony (love the fact they have screen doors!). Also, it was great to not be freezing every restaurant and bar!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone returned lately from SMB?

Rednailz: We are heading to SMB in May. Cannot wait. What were your favorite things about the resort?

I am already getting excited.