We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

At GRP/GSP right now...

andrea185
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
At GRP/GSP right now...

Any questions? The reviews were so helpful to me that I'd be happy to help anyone else out! We got here yesterday, were booked platinum but got upgraded for free to Laguna! The weather has been pretty crappy...overcast and cool yesterday and rainy today. We ate at the tepanyaki restaurant yesterday and had a seat at one of the cooking stations...the food was average but our chef was a dud...I think he's new and just learning because he only did a bit of a show at the beginning and then concentrated on his cooking. The buffets have been good, better than average and all of the employees are very friendly. Any other questions/? :)

Alberta
Level Contributor
207 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: At GRP/GSP right now...

Hola andrea185,

I hope you are having a wonderful time ! A free upgrade Wow, did you have to ask or did they just give it to you at check in ? If you dont mind asking if there is a separate email address for the Sunset side that would be great ! I have seen the Riviera ones but nothing for the Sunset. How kind of you to take time out of your vacation to post.

Thanks again ! : )

B

Penticton, BC
Level Contributor
541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: At GRP/GSP right now...

did you try the new tapas restaurant yet? how has the buffet food been? what would you say the capacity is there right now? how did the ocean look? clean and clear?

andrea185
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: At GRP/GSP right now...

We didn't ask for the upgrade...it was a happy surprise when we arrived! We have reservations for the tapas restaurant tonight so we're going to grab a snack now (they have 2 seatings...6 & 8:30). I'm not sure on the email for the sunset side. The weather today was kind of sucky but it's clearing out now. We were at the beach briefly yesterday but haven't gone in the water yet. When we do I'll be sure to update! The buffets are alright. I'm a foodie and a really picky eater and I haven't gone hungry yet! It's no problem posting as we brought our laptop and have the internet included. Ask away! :)

Baltimore
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: At GRP/GSP right now...

We will be there in 3 weeks and have loads of questions.

1. What is the best way to get from the Cancun airport to the resort? How long and how much?

2. What is the beach like? I have read mixed reports. Nice sand, wide, crowded?

3. Can we rent a car at the hotel? We want to do some excursions on our own but don't need the car for the entire week.

4. How far is the resort from town? Are there other resorts within walking distance?

5. How is the ocean? Good for swimming?

6. We are staying in the Platinum area. Do we need to make dinner reservations? Do you have a water front room? View?

7. Guests - American? Canadian? European? Mexican?

College kids?

8. Dress code - Do we need to dress up or are shorts and sandals OK?

9. Anything else you can think of?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: At GRP/GSP right now...

cool upgrade!

can you please take some pics of the tapas restaurant, and the new wing...would love to see the new stuff finished...

andrea185
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: At GRP/GSP right now...

I'll try to remember all of the questions! :)

We got a transfer from USA transfers. It was $105 from the Cancun airport and it took about 45 minutes to get to the hotel. We went to 5th ave today and the taxi was $13 usd and took 10-15 min. The platinum rooms are the ones by the beach but from what I understand not all have ocean views. There is a platinum concierge who can make your dinner reservations for you, up to 2 days in advance. We haven't gone in the ocean yet but did hang out in the roped off area of the beach yesterday. The upgraded section isn't as crowded as the rest...but they've got people and chairs packed in there. It seems about 60 % of the guests are Canadian, 25% american and the rest euro/other. It seems less than 10% college age. For the fine dining restaurants long pants are required for men but I saw 2 ladies in shorts at the tapas restaurant so I don't know how strict they are. No one seems dressed super fancy, just nice. There is a car rental place in the lobby but I have no ideas about the rates. The food at the tapas was pretty good...I'd rate it a 7.5 out of 10...but I'm super picky so that's alright. Sorry, didn't see this post until after dinner and we didn't take any pics of the Tapas restaurant but the decor is really nice.

north bay ontario
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: At GRP/GSP right now...

Glad to hear you are enjoying your stay. We want to book in the newer wing -swimup room - Riviera side as it says adults only and there is just my hubby and I going but we don't know about the location. Some say that at the newer part there is only shade. Are they closer to the beach and are they more private. Or should we book the swim up in a more central location and are they adults only and would that be more in the centre of the noise, etc...Also, for dinner reservations, should we try and book prior to going and is there only two seatings, 6 & 8.30? Any advice would be appreciated.

calgary
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: At GRP/GSP right now...

We just returned from GRP a week ago. The newer section swim up rooms do have very limited sun. They lose the sun by about noon and are very close to the lobbys and quite a distance from the beach. The older section is where we stayed and all swim up rooms are adults only but there are children (limited) playing in the pools.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: At GRP/GSP right now...

Had another question.

We will have our 12 y/o son with us. Are there activities for the kids? What are they and how are they?

10. Re: At GRP/GSP right now...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2010, 06:16