We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrade to The Royal from Gran Porto??

new jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Upgrade to The Royal from Gran Porto??

Has anyone upgraded to The Royal from Gran Porto?? I am wondering how much? Right now they will do it for $160, but I have read that people have gotten it for much cheaper, so I am wondering if I shoudl wait til I book.. also is this an option when doing the online check in??

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrade to The Royal from Gran Porto??

how many nights are you staying? & is the $160 the total or pp?

new jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrade to The Royal from Gran Porto??

It is per night... we are staying for 5 nights.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrade to The Royal from Gran Porto??

that's sure is 1 big pretty penny! what room category are they asking $800 more for? & when r u going? sorry, but it all factors in (if u r going any time between now & the end of april, it's going to b more expensive, that's y i am asking)

new jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Upgrade to The Royal from Gran Porto??

I am going in March.. I am just wondering if anyone who has stayed at the Gran Porto recently has been asked to upgrade..

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upgrade to The Royal from Gran Porto??

By most report's, both the RPDC and GPR are fully booked ...I would be a tad weary, upgrading to a booked resort..

Just my $.02..

Edited: 19 February 2010, 19:37
new jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Upgrade to The Royal from Gran Porto??

I dont believe they are booked... I just called them directly and there still shows availability on expedia...

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upgrade to The Royal from Gran Porto??

i was just going to say the same thing larry said. the rpdc is booked solid until pretty much the end of april (i have heard that it is supposedly even booked up well into may too) that's why i was asking when u would be going? i have read that many people staying at the gpr have had the option of upgrading to rpdc & if the $ is not a big deal (provided u r going directly through real resorts or u have a very good travel agent) than i would definitely upgrade & perhaps splurge this time around. remember that u r going during the high/peak season so the rates are going to be through the roof. good luck!

Edited: 19 February 2010, 19:55
connecticut
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upgrade to The Royal from Gran Porto??

We booked the gpr originaly for 5 nights 04/11 to 04/16 and then decided we wanted the royal.We got on the phone and spoke with Silvia Ganzalez Executive account mngr.Also a few other personel direct from the royal.We managed to upgrade for $180 total per all 5 nights,to a ocean front room.We must pay the $180 upon our check in.We recieved a conformation # and a letter stating our upgrade to the royal ocean front room.Only thing is we must arrive at the gpr and then they have to send us over to the royal because we origanaly booked at that hotel.I suppose there is no problem upgrading prior to check in as long as there are rooms available.We got lucky the rpdc booked up quick right after we upgraded.

Edited: 19 February 2010, 23:50
new jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Upgrade to The Royal from Gran Porto??

Interesting.. because we are going 4/12-4/16... I have called several times to upgrade and they say there are plenty of rooms available but its $160 per night.. did you negotiate that price??

connecticut
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upgrade to The Royal from Gran Porto??

Anniepar actually we are staying at rpdc oceanfront for 4 nights and the last night at an ocean view,because no ocean front available for our last night.As our letter states its 40 dollars per night for the front and 20 for the view on the last night.No we didn't negotiate that price it was just a standard.We didn't argue or try any better because we really wanted the royal.Also we don't mind switching the last day to a ocean view, were just glad to get the ocean front for the 4 nights.