We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not much tipping happening.

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Not much tipping happening.

Spent a week at the Azteca ( just back Wed night, wish I was still there) and I noticed many, many people were not tipping .

One day I left two 1.00 bills for the maid, and she only took one and left the other which I thought was very sweet.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not much tipping happening.

We were in Playa over Thanksgiving, and I noticed the same thing. As long as the service is good, I always tip. The waitstaff at Sandos were really hustling around. During busy times, I would see some of the staff nearly jogging to get tables cleared, people seated, etc. I always had great service so we always tipped at each meal, for drinks, maid service, etc., but I don't think I noticed even ONE person tipping.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Not much tipping happening.

Sometimes I notice that people were not tipping.. and wondered why.. only to find out that they tip at the end of their vacation... and very generously I might add. So you just might not see it!

Elmsdale, Nova...
Level Contributor
489 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not much tipping happening.

I like to tip those who I feel deserve it & given at the time.. When tips are left when checking out at the end of your stay.. it may not always go to the person you wanted to have it.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not much tipping happening.

We were in PDC in Jan and noticed the same thing. SAD! We tip throughout the week for the same reason as TropicalDreamer.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
262 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not much tipping happening.

When we had good service, which was almost always, we tipped. Not many we saw tipped at dinner or anything.

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not much tipping happening.

I think it is best to tip as you go, that way IMHO you get better service from the waiter/bartender/maid when they now up front that there are getting tipped...The maid , who works the hardest & probably gets paid the least, I seek her out on the first or second day & give her usually $20.00, also I have heard that on checkout day that the floor supervisors , knowing who is checking out go to rooms first & scoop up the dinero..

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not much tipping happening.

Tip as you go. Use crisp bills, the worn ones can't be cashed in by the Mexicans.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Not much tipping happening.

We are going down in July. Do they liked to be tipped in US or Pesos? I want to be prepared as I believe in tipping. Also, is there a bank that is better than another (ATM) for using a debit card for cash? Thank you.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not much tipping happening.

Many people see the "tips included" in the all-inclusive ads so don't. Also, we tip regularly but you won't see it as I palm the notes discretely to the waiters, etc. Also, as has been mentioned many people tip at the end of a trip, like on a cruise ship, but if you do that sometimes the person you wish to tip is on their day off.

Beantown
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Not much tipping happening.

I look at it this way...if you can't afford a few dollars here and there for tips you shouldn't be taking the trip to begin with....the average wage for a maid or server is probably less than 2-3% of what we make per year. I usually go to the bank and get crisp 1 and 2 dollar bills usually $150 for the week. Perhaps my expectations aren't as high as others but I rarely have a complaint about service. I tip as I go and if someone is off the chart nice and helpful I might get them a card with a 20 in it and give it to them directly at the end of the week.