We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newest reviews of SMB are scary! I'M NERVOUS!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Newest reviews of SMB are scary! I'M NERVOUS!

I'm going to SMB on Friday and the most recent reviews are scary! Food poisoning..mediocre food....were these flukes???

:( I'm nervous now

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newest reviews of SMB are scary! I'M NERVOUS!

Based on your post, I read the most recent reviews of SMB. Sounds as though the main complaints are against the too-small gym and the food. Is a gym important to you? If not, toss that complaint aside. Now for food. Although I have only been to three AI resorts in my life, the food after about day #3 gets a bit repetitious. However, breakfast is always good, right? Made to order omelets, fresh fruit. I also think it's true that presentation often exceeds what the food actually delivers.In fact, I'd say that has been our experience more often than not. We have been happiest with the food stripped down to its most basic form and (for us) that means fish. The plus side of a la carte dining is that you are usually in a beautiful venue, dressed nicely, completely relaxed, enjoying each other's company and you usually can't go wrong with spirits.

Last thing is the guy with "food poisoning." Don't you find it odd that only one guest had it? As has been discussed often here, it was probably more a case of too much food and drink than actual food poisoning,

We are beach people. From everything I have read and all the pics I have viewed, SMB looks nothing short of extraordinary. I would happily settle for less than stellar food and a small gym if the trade off was a beautiful beach.

Personally, I think you will have the time of your life, and I envy you.

Don't worry. Be happy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newest reviews of SMB are scary! I'M NERVOUS!

FineMind,

Thanks for your reply! The gym I'm not concerned about...vacation is my time off from my normal routine of life and I'm a gym rat lol

The food is more of the concern and while I can see some things getting a bit repetitious (as I also felt at ERC), there are many dining options, which is always good. Is the food "exotic?" Like with a lot of mixed flavors? I know I got a menu for a private dinner and thought some stuff was a bit odd (potato & mint puree)...

And for one guy getting food poisoning...you did bring up a good point...that was the first and only time I've read about that happening...

Thanks again :)

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newest reviews of SMB are scary! I'M NERVOUS!

I thought the food was fabulous. I am usually the one with the sensitive stomach and I had no problems at all. The beach is to die for. If you are a beach person you will be happy.

The pools for the size of the resort are small. However, they have great swim ups which we had. We loved it so much we told our kids about it.

Our son is going on his honeymoon there. Relax. You will have a fabulous time.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
579 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newest reviews of SMB are scary! I'M NERVOUS!

Check these review stats. I doubt the 647 people that rated it Excellent are all wrong. Enjoy SMB, it really is excellent!!!

91% Recommend

Out of 915 reviews

- Excellent 647

- Very good 183

- Average 44

- Poor 29

- Terrible 12

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newest reviews of SMB are scary! I'M NERVOUS!

I would not worry about the reviews as each resort has fans that claim it is "amazing" and those that simply do not like it for whatever reason. I throw out the extremes on both sides of the spectrum and really only pay attention to those reviews from posters I know and trust and also those whom I have learned like the same things as I do.

There are resorts that are wildly popular that I stayed in and was left wondering what all the fuss was about and those that got scathing reviews that I was very pleased with.

Relax and enjoy - all that really matters is what YOU think, not anyone else.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newest reviews of SMB are scary! I'M NERVOUS!

when i read the not so positive reviews about the food at any resort, i take it w/ a grain of salt! (i did read the reviews at smb) in terms of the post regarding food poisoning-yeah it would really stink if anyone had gotten sick on vacation but the only way to find out if it was indeed food poisoning is to have a blood test done (there are a few other ways but things have to be tested if u now what i mean) if feel bad for the poor guy but if & unless it can be proven that it was actual food poisoning then i wouldn't worry about that at all (to many possible variables in that "1" case scenario) this is completely off the topic but the thing that really bothered me about the "1" specific review was the last paragraph about mexico declining & they decided that was their last trip there because there were officers everywhere with their fingers on triggers of machine guns & how unsettling it was to realize how out of control the country is & how they will not give mexico another dime of there money (& then they go on to joke about the airport security as well) i get that the sight of armed military personnel can be a rather intimidating experience at times & yes you'll see them on the highways, at banks, patrolling beaches and at large gatherings but mexican military is there to protect you & the citizens of mexico and to keep the peace. remember crime occurs everywhere around the world and mexico is no different! you must always be aware of your surroundings if you are in mexico or alexandria virginia! despite the overwhelming bad press that mexico receives, it is no more dangerous & perhaps less dangerous than many, many places in the us. i think the us media has a lot to do w/ this as well, could it be possible that the us (gov't) does not want us spending our money in mexico? ok i'm done now, i just has to get that out! we love mexico!

Edited: 01 March 2010, 14:42
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Newest reviews of SMB are scary! I'M NERVOUS!

It seems that it is Murphy's law that you will get a few negative reviews for the resort you are staying at prior to a trip! Relax though. I agree with Caviar's assessment completely. If you are a gym rat you may be disappointed. I am often confused though by people that are runners that would prefer a hamster treadmill to running outside on the beach or grounds...but I digress. Perhaps that was a case of food poisoning...or not. I think I am more concerned with washing my hands after using buffet utensils. A bug could have been picked up on the plane or trip to the resort---who knows. It does strike me as odd that only one guest reported it. None of the resorts are going to be perfect. You chose this resort because it is best in line with your vacation priorities---it also does not hurt that it gets such amazing reviews. Most people (myself included) love this resort. Is it perfect---no, but it is a great spot to go and unwind from it all. Have a great trip!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Newest reviews of SMB are scary! I'M NERVOUS!

Hailto: I also found the fingers on trigger comments disturbing. Clearly these folks have not traveled much out of the US. Admittedly I was alarmed the first time I was in European airports and saw this however like you said, the military is there for our protection.

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newest reviews of SMB are scary! I'M NERVOUS!

Lil - My husband & I just returned from Secrets Maroma Beach on Wed. 02/24. I also did read the review you mention in your post. As far as the food is concerned we thought it was very good - not necessarily excellent - but very good. We had no stomach issues and ate & drank everything - from the buffets, to fresh fruit, salad, barefoot grill food, sit down restaurants, ice in our drinks, etc.

One thing we did note was that at the sit down restaurants, the food came out hot. We can't say we had one dinner that was served just warm or cool. Food temperature was very good. Presentation is very nice. And, while portions can sometimes be on the small side, by the time we ordered an appetizer and soup or salad the entree size was just fine for us.

And, as far as the review regarding Mexico going downhill, I don't agree. This was our 6th trip to the Riviera Maya area in 7 years and it won't be our last. It is one of our favorite vacation destinations.

Clinton Township...
Level Contributor
584 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newest reviews of SMB are scary! I'M NERVOUS!

Dont worry about the couple recent bad reviews about the food. There are always a few people who have their heads so high in the sky that it wouldnt matter if the food was the best they ever had..... they would still find away to biatch about it or something else for that matter. Just go an relax, drink, and be merry!

Just remember...... SMB is one of the top resorts in the area for a reason!