We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unusual Phone usage ??

S. ontario
3 posts
Save Topic
Unusual Phone usage ??

Last January we stayed at a Riu in Playa del Carmen area. My phone was locked iin safe box most times. I opened only one e-mail. My phone bill showed 10 times the normal usage ,I would use back home , for a month! We were there 2 weeks! My phone provider says , your phone was being used??

Anyone else find this experience? tonydino

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unusual Phone usage ??

if we take 1 of our cells w/ us when we travel-we always take the battery out (i will either lock up the battery somewhere else or just drop it in my purse) & leave the phone in the safe or locked in our luggage. if we need to take it w/ us i just put it in my purse. when we take our kids on vacation we use walkie talkies & don't take our cells at all.

Edited: 05 March 2010, 21:41
kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unusual Phone usage ??

AT and T screwed us- sales rep mis represented what the charges were before hand, Charged us $1200- when we complained reduced to $400- Not a Mexican rip off but At and T

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Unusual Phone usage ??

Aluxob!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alux

Edited: 05 March 2010, 23:06
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,468 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unusual Phone usage ??

Did ypu leave the phone on? It may have periodically been checking for your emails (assuming you have that on your phone), or any incoming call, even if you didnt' answer it, may have resulted in a charge.

S. ontario
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Unusual Phone usage ??

Aluxob ! Very interesting !

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Unusual Phone usage ??

What is best for phone calls back to the US? Buy A Track phone in Mexico and buy minutes? I heard you cant buy a track phone in the US and use it in Mexico

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unusual Phone usage ??

Did the bill show itemized usage or was your bill just a summary of minutes? Also, if you have a smartphone and you left your data service on the on position your emails will push and you will have an enormous bill. I ALWAYS turn my data off and use the wifi feature only.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Unusual Phone usage ??

I always turn off my cell phone when I leave home. My daughter just bought phone cards for the public phones. 20min. for $10 last year while we were in the pv area. It worked great and no worries about unwanted charges on the cell phone.

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unusual Phone usage ??

Is the phone a blackberry??

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unusual Phone usage ??

Remove chip and battery from your phone if you are afraid of being charged. Go to an Oxxo convenience store and pick up a local cel phone with minutes for about 30 dollars. You can recharge minutes as needed. Call home and let them know your number. End of story.