We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon - Trying to decide between 5 Hotels!! Please Help

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
20 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon - Trying to decide between 5 Hotels!! Please Help

We are honeymooning Early Nov. 2010. I am trying to decide between "The Royal in Playa del Carmen", The Royal Hideaway, The El Dorado Seaside Suites, Secrets Maroma, and Adventura Spa Palace. Food wise we are looking for good filet mignon and great white fish entrees. We want romance and great pool. Let me know what you think about the options. We will probably not do Adventura but it does have free excursions is the reason it is still on the list.

Thanks!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon - Trying to decide between 5 Hotels!! Please Help

The Royal is right in town so that's a plus (for me anyway...I like to leave the resort and no taxi needed).

The Royal Hideaway is a great honeymoon destination..very good food and the most romantic. Great pool, great beach, smaller resort

Secrets Maroma - best beach

El Dorado - haven't stayed there so can't comment

ASP - Dead after 6 pm

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon - Trying to decide between 5 Hotels!! Please Help

i was going to suggest the royal-even if it wasn't on your list! candylady's right-you can't beat the royal's location. also add this to you list of reasons to not do adventura-there is no beach, it's man-made lagoon-that's a deal breaker for me. good luck & congrats

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon - Trying to decide between 5 Hotels!! Please Help

There are pro and cons to all of them but since it will be your Honeymoon so Secrets Maroma should win this hands down.

The Royal will be chaos IMO and noisy, not very romantic. Adventura Spa Palace is a dump IMO and the beach sucks (wait its a man made beach). El Dorado Seaside Suites is nice but not Secrets nice.The Royal Hideaway was very nice but there was something about it being so crowed in next to the other resorts, always seemed as if there were people who were not staying there walking around inside the property, plus you have people walking by you all day long on the beach. Good for people watching sucks for privacy.

I go many times a year and have stayed in almost all the big resorts at one time or another and Secrets is in a class of its own, of course it should be giving its price.

A great alternitive IMO which I rank up there in the league with Secrets is the Excellence Riviera Cancun.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon - Trying to decide between 5 Hotels!! Please Help

"The Royal will be chaos IMO and noisy, not very romantic"

what?? you have got to be kidding me. please, give me a break! when were you there?

Edited: 09 March 2010, 03:36
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
20 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon - Trying to decide between 5 Hotels!! Please Help

Thanks for the tips. The El Dorado Seaside Suites is supposed to be more towards the gourmet side of food. My travel agent says it is very romantic there too. I have been to The Royal in Cancun and really liked it. The food was very good compaired to any other place I had been in Cancun, and I liked the fact that if you upgraded your room you could get a reserved bed by the pool. My hesitation about it in Playa is that it is so much larger with so many more rooms. Do you think there will be a problem getting lounge chairs by the pool the first week of November? My fiance is worred that Secrets might be a little on the cheesy side, but I've heard that Secrets and Sandals are usually really nice, but we don't want to be labled as a cheesy honeymoon couple:-) So I'm now just torn between the 4:-) So I guess my main requirements are romance, good steak (filet mignon), good white fish, and great relaxing pools. I don't want to have to fight for chairs. I am not an early riser, and do not want to have to wake up early to reserve one.

Thanks!

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon - Trying to decide between 5 Hotels!! Please Help

dunnl20. First of all, may I wish you a WONDERFUL honeymoon! Congratulations!

Of the resorts you mention, we, over the years, have stayed at all of them except Secrets Maroma Beach, and also at Excellence Riviera Cancun. I agree that you might want to scratch Aventura Spa Palace, for reasons already mentioned. Also, it's very large!!

Personal preferences, of course, but my 1st choice would be the Royal Playa del Carmen. We are returning in April for our 5th visit to that resort. Believe me, it is NOT crazy busy at all. Activities if you want them, but also places for intimate privacy. To me, the location puts it right up there. On the beach, and also a very short stroll to all that 5th Avenue has to offer. Great food choices, (no reservations required, except at Chef's Plate) outstanding service, and a nice mix of other guests to chat with if you so desire. Lovely rooms, and ELEVATORS!

Royal Hideaway is also lovely (2 visits). My husband "loves the tranquility of the place", and it is that, for sure. Both times we were there the beach was in bad shape due to hurricane damage, but understand that the recent beach restoration project has fixed that. Also always needed dinner reservations to be made in advance,and if you just wanted to be a little spontaneous, the only option was room service. (Which was fine, both food and service). Not much night life of any kind when we were there, but maybe we just weren't in places where it was happening. The downside for me, being a bit on the "older side LOL", was a lot of stairs, and no elevators, except for a couple of small ones, well hidden. Would probably not be a factor for you.

Eldorado Seaside Suites (2 visits) but both were before the more recent additions, room upgrades etc. We loved it both time, and would go back at some point. A little further away from town.

Excellence Riviera Cancun was a great place too. We took an Excellence Club room, and have nothing but good things to say about the amenities, food, service, etc. Pueorto Morelas a short cab ride, Playa del Carmen a longer cab ride. The interconnecting pools were awesome, and you could choose lots of activity, or total privacy. Also had elevators for easy room access, although I think the restaurants, bars, etc. were pretty well all at ground level.

Can't comment on Secrets Maroma Beach, but the reviews sound great, and it is definitely on our "to do" list.

Just an observation that might be a factor. I notice that you are going in early November. We always go then too, to celebrate our anniversary. Generally pretty decent weather, but can be a bit iffy at times. Last Nov. Tropical Storm Ida paid us a visit for a couple of days when we first arrived, and we were glad we were at the Royal. In spite of the rain and high surf, there were lots of places we could go to socialize, enjoy our dinners, drinks, etc. ,and could get to pretty well any of them under cover without having to get soaked in the rain.Also, the 24 hour self service lounge with pool tables, ping pong, huge TV, etc.. was super to spend time in. Don't think that would have been the case at Royal Hideaway, and not sure about at Excellence either.

Sorry to be so wordy here, but hope I have helped a little. I'd be glad to communicate in a private message, but sorry. Being relatively new to trip Advisor, I don't know how to set that up!

Best wishes for a lifetime of happiness together!

Hiawatha, Kansas
Level Contributor
854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon - Trying to decide between 5 Hotels!! Please Help

We have been to EDSS 4 times and are booked for the 5th time in April. Small, intimate resort very romantic. It is a remote location no towns real close by, but Playa is an easy taxi ride. Food is very good, no buffets which is a plus for us. The resort is small enough and has little out of the way places all over at times you feel like you have the resort to yourself very romantic. They also have 24 hour room service which is really nice, for lazy days and late nights. As far as a filet, the beef in Mexico is just not the same as in the states, they do have steak that isn't too bad but definatley don't go expecting a great steak, nothing beats steak in the midwest. They do have some good seafood options. Sorry can't coment on your other resorts we went to EDSS and found the resort we where looking for.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon - Trying to decide between 5 Hotels!! Please Help

Every year we go for the first 2-3 weeks of November. That is their off season and never busy. No problem getting sun beds.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon - Trying to decide between 5 Hotels!! Please Help

the royal in cancun has 285 rooms-all in one building. the rpdc has 432 rooms & they just added a new wing-(44 new suites) another restaurant, a jr olympic pool & a great coffee shop. here is a map of the rpdc's lay out out (the new wing is not shown on the map but it's located on upper left side)

robino.info/Atlantis/royal_pdc_map_2008.pdf

hope this helps, just wanted to let you know the rpdc is not a large resort at all-at least imo.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
20 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon - Trying to decide between 5 Hotels!! Please Help

Thanks guys! I really am leaning towards the Royal. Thinking about upgrading to a swimup room. Any suggestions on exactly which room for plenty of sunny warm pool? Also, what kind of shopping will we find on 5th avenue? Are there any more clothing stores than there are in Cancun? I wish I could put a Las Vegas mall in the carribean:-) LOL