We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're getting close but we still can't decide

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
We're getting close but we still can't decide

Hi there

I have put a similar post up ages ago relating to this topic but we leave in a couple of weeks now and we still can't make a decision. Hoping someone out there can help me!

We are heading over to PDC for 1 week with our 3 kids ages 3, 7 and 9 and obviously want to do an adventure / eco park. The problem is - which one! Having spent the whole afternoon on the net reading up on them all and I am no closer to making a decision.

XCARET looks absolutely beautiful in the photos and seems like it has plenty of activities like the river and the jungle cruise etc... However it doesn't seem to be as big on adventure activities. So I looked at XPLOR as we really, really want to zipline but the height restrictions mean my husband and I would have to tag team as 2 of the kids won't be tall enough. Hidden Worlds and Selvatica look like they will accomodate my youngest by allowing him to zip attached to a guide or parent but don't seem to have the beautiful lagoons etc.. that some of the others seem to have.

So, I guess we have to look at 2 different parks on different days which is something I wanted to avoid as we only have 1 week and I don't want to spend the whole time day tripping. We also really want to go to Tulum and get some snorkelling in somewhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't even know where they all are in relation to each other except that Selvatica is an hour north towards Cancun.

So should we do Xcaret one day and then try to combine Tulum with ziplining on another day somewhere else? Any advice where?

Is it better to book a private driver or tour through Edventures for something like this? I don't really like the big tour bus thing and I don't want to be worried that my kids are bugging people or slowing things up on a big tour as that's not fair on anyone!

Thanks for your help

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We're getting close but we still can't decide

Do an edventure tour and get it all in one day trip. We've done thaty twice (with the exception of ziplining....but I know they offer that as a choice too) We went to Tulum ruins, then snorkeled Dos Ojos cenote (dark underground river cave) Akumal Bay to snorkel with the turtles. Yal-ku lagoon for more snorkeling. (We had done ziplining the year before in Nuevo Vallarta so didn't need to do that this trip.) A great full -day, variety trip on your own timetable. They will let you know how many activities you can get in for the day.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: We're getting close but we still can't decide

If doing all of the activities is important, if it were me, I would probably break up the excursions to 2 days or 2 1/2 day outings. That is a lot of stuff to pack into a day (IMO). I think some of the fun would get lost trying to do so much. That way you will allow yourself enough time to fully enjoy the experience instead of jetting off to the next thing. Between the heat, humidity, the sun, and that much activity I am quite certain that if I was doing it w/ my boys, they would be a total disaster toward the end of the day from being totally wiped out from so many activities in a day.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,659 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We're getting close but we still can't decide

I will second the advice of using Edventure Tours. The guides are just great with kids. Their zip lines are over lagoons, down the river.

It's to bad the kids can't do Xplor.

Xcaret is beautiful and well worth the visit. If you do decide to choose Xcaret it will be an all day from 9AM to 10PM visit. You can lay on their beach to rest up for the nightime Mayan fire ball games and Spectacular show, which your kids would love, but it sounds a little stressful for a 3 yr old. Whereas, Edventure Tours would end about 5PM at Yal Ku lagoon snorkeling with the pretty little fish.

Sydney
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: We're getting close but we still can't decide

Hi there

Thanks for the advice

Thinking the plan will be one full day at Xcaret and a couple of days later Hidden Worlds possibly combined with Tulum for a swim and a nice margarita to finish the day!! Unless Selvatica looks like a better option than HW in which case Tulum will become a day on the beach in itself.

Luckily for me we live 2 mins from the beach in Australia and heat and sun are a way of life for them. (we are over the top beach goers - even for Aussies). Most weekends in summer are spent all day at the beach with a group of families swimming, surfing etc... My youngest thinks its normal to have his afternoon nap in a nice cool bed made of sand under a beach umbrella!

So i'm not too worried about them over doing it - i'm more concerned about their dislike of car/bus journeys to get places!! I also want to make sure we get plenty of time just hanging out at the hotel and looking around 5th Ave.

Thanks again for the help

wales
Level Contributor
254 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We're getting close but we still can't decide

Recoveringaussies... I have no advice on your trip choice but have been following your posts on this forum and hope that you and your family have the holiday of a lifetime that you all deserve, enjoy and safe travels

C

Sydney
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: We're getting close but we still can't decide

Thank you so much Chrissywales. I have been pretty blown away by some of the nice messages I have received. We only have 2 weeks to go and I can't wait! My son had his big 3 monthly check up with the oncologist yesterday and his blood results are perfect so we are good to go with no worries.

I will be sure to post a trip report when I get back. Take care.

Casuarina
Level Contributor
334 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We're getting close but we still can't decide

Dittto Chrissy Wales.

From one Aussie to another I hope you have an amazing trip. For purely selfish purposes I cant wait for your trip reports as we are hot on your heels in July.

L

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We're getting close but we still can't decide

Took my three (hard to please) children last year and did Xcaret one day, Tulum Xtreme (ruins, zip line, repel (like rock climing) and cenote swimming) the next and then swam with the dolphins the next day. We like to get there, stay at our resort for a couple days, do tours the middle few days and then stay at the resort for the last few days. Seems to work out well. They all loved it and still talk about it.

Kasson.MN
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We're getting close but we still can't decide

Hello,

My wife and I also highly recommend Edventures. They are a local family business and are excellent. We just returned 2 days ago. Ed and Bonnie will customize a tour to what you want to do. We booked with them online. Bonnie responds quickly to emails and will answer any questions. They picked us and 2 families up at our resort. We went down to Tulum to their shop and they organinzed the different tours. We had a private tour to Coba, Akumal, and Yal-Ku. The two Canadian families also had their own private tour. Judi, Eddie's mom, was our guide. We loved her and her brand new Avanza. They bring coolers so you can pack you own snacks, pop, water or beer. We talked to the other 2 couples at our resort the next day, they had a fabulous time. Their daughters (9-12) really enjoyed the trip. Edventures will leave if you don't like the activity or stay longer if you want to. You decide where you go and what you do!!!!! GOOGLE Edventures-Tulum. We plan to have Edventures take us to Ek Balaam next trip to Playa.

Edited: 20 March 2010, 18:28
10. Re: We're getting close but we still can't decide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2010, 05:17