We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adults only resort with a "sheltered" ocean swimming area?

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Adults only resort with a "sheltered" ocean swimming area?

I am planning our next trip to Mexico for Sept or October (I know-hurricane season...it can't be avoided). Stayed at the VIM last October but want to try something new. My greatest disappointment with that resort was the fact that I could not get into the ocean because of the crazy waves. They were terrible. I was so excited for a relaxing dip in the ocean...but alas, the water was way too crazy for anybody other than a 20-something brave male.

I have been told that if the swimming area is in a inlet, this eliminates the waves. Any suggestions on which resort fits this bill? I am not picky...anything 3-5 stars that is all inclusive and adults only.

Thanks!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,627 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adults only resort with a "sheltered" ocean swimming area?

Catalonia Royal Tulum's beach is not sheltered but the beach looks fantastic and it looks like the surf is pretty calm in that area.

I believe anything on Maroma beach will have a pretty calm sea but again, it is not sheltered.

Stay away from Cancun. All the of the adult only resorts are on the side with strong surf.

Many resorts will have calm surf without being sheltered. Of course, it depends on the weather but there are some areas that are known to have stronger surf - Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and the area around the Valentin are some of them.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
209 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adults only resort with a "sheltered" ocean swimming area?

Nurse, if you find that resort, let me know what you think of it. Hubby and I were just discussing the same thing this afternoon on where to stay next and having a swimable ocean without being drug under because of the waves.

Alberta
Level Contributor
282 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adults only resort with a "sheltered" ocean swimming area?

The Occidental Grand Xcaret has a lagoon which is nice and calm and you can snorkle in it. We stayed there last November and it was very nice. You do not have the big long stretch of ocean to walk along if tha is what you like. My 10 year old did quite a lot of snorkeling and really enjoyed it. I would recommend staying there. Oh and we were there during Hurricane Ida!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,489 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adults only resort with a "sheltered" ocean swimming area?

I had the exact same question (I was at the VIM last year too) - Secrets Maroma Beach and the CRT were recommended to me too.

HTH

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adults only resort with a "sheltered" ocean swimming area?

CRT, El Dorado Maroma, Secrets Maroma all have calm waters for swimming.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adults only resort with a "sheltered" ocean swimming area?

Thanks so much everyone! Any more? And by sheltered I meant geographically sheltered- like by an inlet, not covered. :-) sorry, that was kind of unclear.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adults only resort with a "sheltered" ocean swimming area?

El Dorado Seaside Suites is the perfect place. Lounge around all day on beach beds, drinking top shelf liquor. Snorkel in the calm waters and swim with the beautiful fish. You don't even have to get up if you're thirsty. The service is impeccable. They even bring out a cart and serve you some lunch right on the beach. Swim in one of the pools, or relax in the jacuzzi. Take an afternoon nap in one of the many hammocks. Spa treatments are amazing. Have dinner on the beach by candlelight. And if you feel like some adventure, grab a kayak. Or join in the fun at the Activities pool. And don't forget to try all the restaurants! You won't be disappointed!

Chicago
Level Contributor
216 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adults only resort with a "sheltered" ocean swimming area?

I stayed at Dreams Tulum in October and it had a great swimming beach. I have stayed at El Dorado Maroma and the beach was super calm as well. Also, went to a super great small boutique hotel in Tulum, Mezzanine which was lovely but really small, I believe 10-12 rooms. If you do not stay there and are in the area, go have dinner or a drink there.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adults only resort with a "sheltered" ocean swimming area?

El Dorado Seaside Suites beach is very rocky and area to swim is really small, we went there a few times when staying at the Grand Palladium next door. The calmest water we've seen in Riviera Maya was at the Maroma beach (we stayed at the Catalonia Playa Maroma which is small but not adult only moderately priced resort), then Grand Palladium (also not adult only). But they do not have any naturally sheltered areas, if you get that you get rocks as well. There is a salt water pool on the rocky part of the beach at Palladium for the no-waves swimming. You can find 100% calm water/adult only at Punta Cana in DR but I would not go there now.

Edited: 17 March 2010, 02:43
Burkburnett
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adults only resort with a "sheltered" ocean swimming area?

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya - if it's too windy there it's too windy anywhere. Close to Akumal and a swim with the tortugas also.