We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel advice. . . Down to the wire

Utah
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel advice. . . Down to the wire

Hello experts!

I am planning to travel to Playa Del Carmen the first week of May. We were actually going to go to Puerto Vallarta, but made a change to Playa Del Carmen. I am excited to go and have looked through a ton of information on hotel locations and reviews. We have a group of 3 couples in our mid 20s looking for a relaxing vacation at a resonably priced AI. We also want to make sure we aren't too far away from town.

I have had people recommend Sandos Playacar, Grand Riviera Princess, Viva Wyndham Azteca, or Allegro Playacar. What do you guys think? I have stayed in RIU AIs before and have always been impressed. PLease help! I feel like my head is swimming with options.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Sandos Playacar Beach...
14,196 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess...
9,333 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Viva Wyndham Azteca
Viva Wyndham Azteca
3,998 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
5,889 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
988 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel advice. . . Down to the wire

Hi there, I can't give advice because this is my first time going to the area. Have you checked out RIU Playacar? Playacar isn't far from playa and you liked Rius before just thought i would suggest it. Also my girlfriend is taking her honeymoon to the Grand Riveria Princess in August. I hear that a shuttle to Playa is part of the All Inclusive but someone else will have to confirm that. Good luck on your search!!

Cinn

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
5,491 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
270 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Etters, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel advice. . . Down to the wire

I really loved the Princess..and would chose that in a heart beat, but you want to be close to town and that is about oohhh, 15 minutes away...but they do have a free shuttle during the day. A really fun resort!

I am not a fan of the RIU's as I find them boring, but you may love them..( I suggest reading the reviews first). Besides that, a lot of the resorts in Playacar are 25 minutes walking distance or a $5 taxi ride. Gran Porto Real is right in PDC and isnt that expensive.

Micki

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
270 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Panama Jack Resorts Playa del Carmen
Panama Jack Resorts...
10,671 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Utah
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel advice. . . Down to the wire

Thank you for the information so far. I recently stayed at the RIU Palace Las Americas in Cancun and really enjoyed it. I have been at several all inclusive resorts and it seemed to be the cleanest with the most food options. I don't know if this applies to all RIUs or not! Are there taxis or buses readily available to take you to and from the Princess if you miss the shuttle? If so, how much is the ride?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Hotel Riu Palace Las...
7,174 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel advice. . . Down to the wire

i have stayed at riu resorts 4 times and have enjoyed them all. why not stay were you know you will be happy. 5 of them in playa. just out of town.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel advice. . . Down to the wire

If your recent stay was at the RIU Palace Las Americas in Cancun, none of the choices you listed are in that category at all, at least 1 level lower, Sandos Playacar is a very crowded family resort with lots of kids, Grand Riviera Princess is a nice resort but located on a rocky beach, Viva Wyndham Azteca - small nice resort that is hardly 3 stars, or Allegro Playacar even lower...

Define your criteria and budget. If you were going from the budget perspective picking the above mentioned choices, I suggest regular non-palace Riu's in Playacar that are supposed to be in the same price range with Riu Tequila having the best food among them.

Edited: 18 March 2010, 03:19
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Hotel Riu Palace Las...
7,174 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Sandos Playacar Beach...
14,196 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Grand Riviera Princess...
9,333 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Viva Wyndham Azteca
Viva Wyndham Azteca
3,998 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
5,889 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
270 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Hotel Riu Tequila
Hotel Riu Tequila
8,460 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel advice. . . Down to the wire

Kellee

A couple of years ago we were staying at Gran Sirenis (sp?) and were on the shuttle back from our resort to the airport to go back home at the end of our stay.

During the bus drive, we stopped off at the Riu in Playa del Carmen to pick up some travellers and there was a group that was running behind so we got off the shuttle and checked out the lobby area as best as we could during our little layover while waiting for the other travellers. I picked up a brochure and managed to chat with some guests while I was there. They all seemed over the top happy with the Riu resort and their experience. My encounter was brief with them but my goal was to "interview" resort experiences for any future trips we would be able to take ourselves as we were just getting used to the area.

The Riu had a great layout just from the first impression in the lobby area and the guests that did catch the ride back from us really loved the place. They praised the accomodation and resort. I would think if you are used to the Riu experience why not stay with it?

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Utah
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel advice. . . Down to the wire

I understand that these hotels aren't in the same category as the RIU Palace. The other two couples we are going with have more budget restraints then we do. I have been shopping the vacation packages (on funjet and expedia). We are looking for something around $900 per person for 7 nights plus flight from SLC. There are quite a few options in this price range.

There are a few demands when it comes to where we stay. We want somewhere that is clean, has a nice pool, decent beach, and decent food. We also don't want to be extremely far from town because we don't like being confined to the resort. Definately don't want to be at a resort with a LOT of children. We don't need an adults only, but we would like to get SOME quiet relaxation time.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
5,937 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
988 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel advice. . . Down to the wire

Heres another site that can give you more searching options.

www.Locogringo.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel advice. . . Down to the wire

All of the riu's are within walking distance to Playa. Some of your other choices would require a taxi.

Mesquite, Nevada
Level Contributor
122 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel advice. . . Down to the wire

We have been to Playa 4 times in the last 6 years... The 1st 3 times we stayed at the Iberostar Tucan. It's a bit out of town but an outstanding place. This last September we stayed at the Gran Porto Real, right in Playa. Terrific!!!! We were with 2 other couples and a single friend. We didn't have to take a cab or walk into town so that made it real easy to stroll around town in the evenings... which has a real different feel at night then during the day. The food, service, grounds, and rooms are all just great. We are headed back there in Sept 2010.

I think you made an outstanding choice not going to the west coast of Mex and going to the east side.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
7,002 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Panama Jack Resorts Playa del Carmen
Panama Jack Resorts...
10,671 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico